- From ARDSI: Material in Malayalam, part of the Kerala State Initiative, and also other support in Malayalam.
- From Dr. K S Shaji: a dementia caregiver manual in Malayalam.
- From Old age/ Mental Health Portals from India: short introductions for dementia/ Alzheimer’s Disease.
- Videos in Malayalam (YouTube).
From ARDSI: Material in Malayalam, part of the Kerala State Initiative, and also other support in Malayalam.
Kerala State has various dementia initiatives involving the State Government, Alzheimer’s and Related Disorders Society of India (ARDSI), and local stakeholders. The Malayalam material on dementia created as part of this includes leaflets and manuals that explain the initiatives as well as provide useful information on dementia and care. Some of these are shared below, and have been included on the site with the permission of the ARDSI National Office.
“Dementia or medhakshayam- information leaflet for caregivers” (ഡിമെൻഷിയ അഥവാ മേധാക്ഷയം – പരിചാരകർക്കുള്ള ലഘുലേഖ )
explains what dementia is, the symptoms, and risk factors, and the management of common problems associated with dementia. It contains very practical tips for carers. View it in the viewer below or download it from this link (PDF file) Opens in new window. (The viewer may take time to load).
There is also a one-page leaflet, Smruthipadham (സ്മൃതിപഥം) that introduces dementia. It contains a brief description of dementia, common features, and basic aspects of prevention. Click on the image to view or download a larger version in a new tab, or click here: Smruthipadham one-page Malayalam leaflet on dementia Opens in new window.
Phone support in Malayalam is available from National Dementia Helpline. Contact the NATIONAL DEMENTIA HELPLINE at 09846198471 and 09846198473 .
ARDSI also has several chapters in Kerala where you can get Malayalam information and advice. See our page for contact information, addresses, and other details: Resources for dementia care: Kerala cities.
From Dr. K S Shaji: a dementia caregiver manual in Malayalam.
Another dementia caregiver manual in Malayalam, first edition, is available courtesy Dr. Shaji. He cautions that this is only a general guideline and does not substitute professional advice which should be obtained from the doctor who examines the person with dementia. You can Download the Malayalam manual (PDF file) Opens in new window or view it in the viewer below. The viewer may take time to load.
From Old age/ Mental Health Portals from India: short introductions for dementia/ Alzheimer’s Disease.
White Swan Foundation, a website on mental health, has a Malayalam section. This includes pages on dementia and Alzheimer’s, such as Dementia ഡിമെന്ഷ്യ (ബുദ്ധിഭ്രംശം)Opens in new window, Alzheimer’s Disease അല്ഷിമേഴ്സ് രോഗംOpens in new window, and Understanding Alzheimer’s Disease അല്ഷിമേഴ്സ് രോഗത്തെ മനസിലാക്കല് Opens in new window.
Videos in Malayalam (YouTube).
ARDSI Kottayam has a YouTube channel which includes many videos in Malayalam. The playlist below includes a number of such videos, but more may be available at the channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6DvaymvY5Nfr5twVOBJkKw/ .
- TYPES OF DEMENTIA AND DIAGNOSIS IN DEMENTIA- ഡിമെൻഷ്യയുടെ വകഭേദങ്ങളും ഡിമെൻഷ്യയുടെ രോഗനിർണയവും (View here Opens in new window or in playlist below ).
- ഡിമെൻഷ്യ ബാധിതർക്ക് സഹായകമായേക്കാവുന്ന പരിസര ക്രമീകരണങ്ങൾ ENVIRONMENTAL FACILITATION IN DEMENTIA (View here Opens in new window or in playlist below ).
- STAGES OF DEMENTIA – AN OVERVIEW ഡിമെൻഷ്യയുടെ ഘട്ടങ്ങൾ – ഒരാമുഖം (View here Opens in new window or in playlist below ).
- ഡിമെൻഷ്യയെ എങ്ങനെ പ്രതിരോധിക്കാം ? HOW CAN WE PREVENT DEMENTIA? (View here Opens in new window or in playlist below ).
Some news and health channels have uploaded some videos where experts explain dementia and answer questions on it.
- Dr. K Jacob Roy on causes,symptoms and treatments of Alzheimer’s | Manorama News | 11 minute video from Manorama News. View Dr Jacob Roy’s interview here Opens in new window.
- Hello Doctor: Dr Arun B Nair On Dementia | 23rd July 2015 | Full Episode: a 18 minute video from PeopleTV. View Dr. Nair’s video here Opens in new window.
- Alzheimer’s day: concerns and specialities about alzheimer’s | Dr. Live : a 21 minute video from AsianetNews. View the video here Opens in new window.
- Pulse Expert : Dementia 28th June 2014: a 8:23 minute video from AsianetNews. View: View it here Opens in new window.
Or view them as a playlist below.
One very well-known and critically-acclaimed Malayalam movie that depicted dementia is Thanmathra (തന്മാത്ര). Read about the movie and its depiction, and how it can be used to understand dementia and what are its limitations as a source of dementia/ care information: Indian movies depicting dementia: Thanmathra.
Previous: Dementia/ Alzheimer’s Resources in Konkani Next: Dementia/ Alzheimer’s Resources in Marathi