This page contains information specific for dementia care in North-East India, currently on Assam (Guwahati), Manipur (Imphal) and Mizoram (Aizawl). It has been created for the convenience of caregivers of patients of Alzheimer’s Disease and other forms of dementia. [read disclaimer]
- Facilities for patients of Alzheimer’s/ other dementias.
- Helplines and major information sources for elders.
- Dementia-related material in various Indian languages (including Assamese and Bengali).
- General tips for locating relevant resources in a city.
|Facility||Address and other details|
|ARDSI Guwahati Chapter
(Guwahati Chapter of Alzheimer’s and Related Disorders Society of India)
(Data below re-verified May 2017)
ARDSI – Guwahati Chapter
OR House No-35,Arunudoi Path, Hatigaon Road,Opposite Hatigaon Namghar, Guwahati-781038
Main email: email@example.com (However, please copy any emails to other email ids also, for a better chance of getting a response)
Contact persons and their details:
(the old email id firstname.lastname@example.org is not working; please do not expect any response from it)
In November 2013, the ARDSI Guwahati chapter hosted ARDSICON 2013, the XVIII National Conference of the Alzheimer’s and Related Disorders Society of India.
ARDSI Guwahati started a memory clinic in January 2015: The Reeta Barua Memorial Memory Clinic. The clinic is open on weekdays for consultations and assessment. It is handled by Ms. Ankita Kakati. The clinic is at Sonabeel Commercial Complex ( above M/S Chandrani Pearls / Kingkini Jewellers ), Gopi Nath Bordoloi Road, Silpukhuri, Guwahati – 781 003. Contact them for the latest status, timings, and appointments at
Day Care ARDSI Guwahati inaugurated a day care centre in September 2015. The day care is currently operational at:
House No-35, Arunudoi Path,Hatigaon Road,Opposite Hatigaon Namghar,Guwahati-781038 (Assam)
|ARDSI Mizoram Chapter
(Mizoram Chapter of Alzheimer’s and Related Disorders Society of India)
ARDSI Mizoram Chapter, A/76 Hermon Street Electric Veng Aizawl, Mizoram 796007, India
Contact person: Dr. H.K. Laldinpuii Fente
ARDSI Mizoram was inaugurated in September 2015, and has done some caregiver training and is working to spread awareness using multiple means. Support is also given using Whatsapp to registered members. Also, check their Facebook presence Opens in new window. This is a new chapter; please contact them for details of their current activities and plans.
|ARDSI Manipur Chapter
(Manipur Chapter of Alzheimer’s and Related Disorders Society of India)
ARDSI, Manipur Chapter, Palace Compound Near Govindaji Temple Imphal-795001 ( Manipur) India
Contact person: H. Sanamatum Singh, General Secretary
Tel: +91 897 402 4889, 09856377484, 08974971851
E-mail (try all, and call if there is no response): email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
|Other possible resources in Imphal||
Various news reports from dementia programs suggest that experts/ organizations concerned or knowledgeable about dementia can be reached at places like JNIMS (Jawaharlal Nehru Institute of Medical Sciences Hospital) and the Department of Psychiatry, RIMS (Regional Institute of Medical Sciences) also
|Tips to locate trained attendants||The resources listed above may be able to provide home care/ attendants trained for dementia, or they may point you to other resources. Also, please check the comments left by various site visitors, as some of these may point to organizations that other caregivers have used. Please satisfy yourself about any service/ facility before using it.
Unfortunately, it is very difficult to get attendants trained for dementia. You may need to use general attendants and train them on dementia yourself or with the help of volunteers. Our page here, Using Trained Attendants for Dementia Home Care, discusses this topic in detail. You may also find our Caregiving Essential Toolkit useful.
For Guwahati, the Helpage India senior citizen helpline is the tollfree number 1800 345 1253
The Assam police website is at: http://www.assampolice.gov.in/index.php
No information is available on any senior citizen helpline for Manipur (the police website is here, for your reference: http://manipurpolice.org/welcome.html )
|Facility||Address and other details|
|Helpage India, Guwahati||Contact Person: Mr. Nilondra Tanya
Address: H/N.42, Anandanagar Sixmile
Tel. No.: +91 0361 233 8330
Ask them about any elder care services and also about any Geriatric Physiotherapy clinic in the city, as such clinics can be useful for rehabilitation of persons with mobility problems and also with dementia.
|Senior Citizen Associations||
Assam, as per some newspaper reports, has senior citizen associations such as Assam Senior Citizen Association and Guwahati Senior Citizen Association. More details are not currently available, but you can try to locate and contact them.
Manipur has a “Senior Citizen’s for Society Manipur” (SCSM) association. More details are not currently available, but you can try to locate and contact them.
Click here for our full list of dementia/ care resources in various Indian languages (currently Assamese, Bengali, Gujarati, Hindi, Kannada, Konkani, Malayalam, Marathi, Punjabi, Tamil, Telugu, and Urdu): Dementia/ Alzheimer’s Resources in Indian Languages
- A list of local services can usually be obtained by surfing the Internet using keywords and the name of the city, and looking for various types of services. Most cities will have some home care services, old age homes, nursing agencies, etc. The larger hospitals of the city will usually have memory clinics to help the initial diagnosis of dementia. Search for "memory clinic" combined with your city name and other such phrases.
- Use various combinations and alternate city names for more suitable results.For example, you may look for Guwahati, Gauhati, Assam, Imphal, Manipur , or whatever else you consider useful. Search using locality names also.
- Updates/ fresh data on dementia support facilities/ services may also be available from the National Dementia Helpline ( 0484-277-5088). E-mail: email@example.com) or other helplines handled by the ARDSI National Office (09846198471,09846198786, 09846198473)
- The reception/ nurses at local hospitals often know about agencies that supply attendants/ nurses for home care.
- Many large path lab services also provide home pickup of blood samples.
- Many neighborhood path labs and small clinics are able to send nurses home for some minor procedures, like IV. Some even have contacts of doctors who may be willing to make home visits (you must satisfy yourself about the quality and reliability)
Also note, contact numbers and addresses keep changing. If you have an problems old number/ name of hospital/ doctor, etc., get the latest details using local telephone inquiry/ assistance services.
Please contact the resources listed above if you are looking for dementia/ care support If you are looking for resources in other Indian cities/ regions, or across India, check out these links:
- City-wise/ region-wise dementia resources: City-wise resources
- Resources/ organizations working in dementia/ elder care across multiple Indian cities: Resources across India
Other useful links:
- Quick access to essential caregiving tips: Caregiving Essential Toolkit
- Discussion on trained attendants for dementia home care : Using Trained Attendants for Dementia Home Care
Disclaimer: This page includes whatever information was available and seemed relevant. However, we make no claims that the contents of this page are either accurate or complete, or that the persons/ organizations listed are reliable or that they are suitable for you (no fitment for purpose is intended or implied). The data is provided merely for information and convenience, and not an endorsement for any person/ organization/ service/ resource. Also, services offered keep changing, so please contact the organisations to get up-to-date information.
Please note that Dementia Care Notes does NOT provide any services or any medical consultation.
Page/ post last updated on: November 7, 2017