This page contains information specific for dementia care in North-East India, currently on Assam (Guwahati), Manipur (Imphal) and Mizoram (Aizawl). It has been created for the convenience of caregivers of patients of Alzheimer’s Disease and other forms of dementia. [read disclaimer]
- Facilities for patients of Alzheimer’s/ other dementias.
- Dementia-related material in various Indian languages (including Assamese and Bengali).
- General tips for locating relevant resources in a city.
While this page includes several possible dementia care resources and some contact information on these, please note that:
1> You will need to evaluate them for suitability and reliability
2> Entities keep changing their activities, so please contact them for updated information.
3> Though many entities have websites and social media profiles, they may not update them for changes in contact information. If the contact information does not work, try to locate which social media platform they posted recently on and post your query there
4> Note that many organizations do not respond promptly to emails – so if you don’t get a response, call their phone numbers or try Whatsapp. Also, many organizations now use mobile numbers for their main contact even if their sites/ social media profiles show landlines.
Helplines for senior citizens:
- National Helpline for Senior Citizens: Toll-free helpline number 14567
- Helpage helpline: All-India toll-free number: 1800 180 1253 .Contact them for help and also to reach any local numbers.
ARDSI Guwahati Chapter (Guwahati Chapter of Alzheimer’s and Related Disorders Society of India)
ARDSI – Guwahati Chapter (All data below confirmed in Oct 2021)
Address: House No-10, Rukmini Nagar Path, Dispur, Guwahati-781006
Phone No: 9864015872, 8011773850, Email Id: firstname.lastname@example.org
Website: ardsi.in, . The site is still WIP, replacing an older site at ardsiguwahati.org, so for more info about their work, email them.
ARDSI Guwahati also has a memory clinic : The Reeta Barua Memorial Memory Clinic and a Dementia Day Care. Both are at: House No-10, Rukmini Nagar Path, Dispur, Guwahati-06. They continue to work in COVID times, with due safety protocols.
The clinic is open on weekdays for consultations and assessment. It is handled by Ms. Debastuti Barua and Ms Sumitra Sharma Contact them for the latest status, timings, and appointments at 8638628718 (Ms Sumitra Sharma) or use the ARDSI Guwahati numbers.
For the Day care Center, contact Ms.Sumitra Sharma-8638628718 and Dibya Jyoti Goswami-7035907918 to find the working timings and other details.
The chapter also has an app, Sampark Eldercare Opens in new window , for services like doctor visit, physiotherapist, ·clinical psychologist, caregivers, and for informative videos.
Organizations supporting dementia care
Aakuali Based on some caregiver feedback received indirectly in Oct 2021, this Guwahati-based organization can be helpful to support families coping with dementia. Please look at their site, aakualicare.com Opens in new window and contact them to find out more.
ARDSI Mizoram Chapter (Mizoram Chapter of Alzheimer’s and Related Disorders Society of India)
ARDSI Mizoram Chapter, A/76 Hermon Street Electric Veng Aizawl, Mizoram 796007, India. The chapter provides support for home care, counselling, caregiver training, and also has a WhatsApp group for information and support. There is a helpline at 9366191341/ 936618946.
Contact person: Dr. H.K. Laldinpuii Fente, Professor, Department of Psychology, Mizoram University, Mizoram, Aizawl – 796004, Phone: 09436140870 / 8794716364. E-mail: email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org Facebook presence Opens in new window.
ARDSI Manipur Chapter (Manipur Chapter of Alzheimer’s and Related Disorders Society of India)
ARDSI, Manipur Chapter, Palace Compound Near Govindaji Temple Imphal-795001 ( Manipur) India
Contact person: H. Sanamatum Singh, General Secretary, Tel: 09856377484, 08974971851, +91 897 402 4889. E-mail: email@example.com
Additional Listings: Other possible resources for dementia information/ diagnosis
Various news reports from dementia programs suggest that experts/ organizations concerned or knowledgeable about dementia can be reached in Imphal at places like JNIMS (Jawaharlal Nehru Institute of Medical Sciences Hospital) and the Department of Psychiatry, RIMS (Regional Institute of Medical Sciences) also
Additional Listings: Important organizations working for seniors
Helpage helpline: This all-India organization with local branches supports senior citizens in multiple ways. They may also offer geriatric physiotherapy.Contact them at 1800 180 1253 (All-India tollfree number). Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: helpageindia.org
As per some newspaper reports, Assam has senior citizen associations such as Assam Senior Citizen Association and Guwahati Senior Citizen Association. More details are not currently available, but you can try to locate and contact them.
Manipur has a “Senior Citizen’s for Society Manipur” (SCSM) association. More details are not currently available, but you can try to locate and contact them.
The full list of dementia/ care resources in various Indian languages (currently Assamese, Bengali, Gujarati, Hindi, Kannada, Konkani, Malayalam, Marathi, Punjabi, Tamil, Telugu, and Urdu) is at Dementia/ Alzheimer’s Resources in Indian Languages
- A list of local services can usually be obtained by surfing the Internet using keywords and the name of the city, and looking for various types of services. Most cities will have some home care services, old age homes, nursing agencies, etc. The larger hospitals of the city will usually have memory clinics, geriatric clinics, or geriatric psychiatry clinics to help the initial diagnosis of dementia. Search for these combined with your city name and other such phrases.
- Use various combinations and alternate city names for more suitable results. For example, you may look for Guwahati, Gauhati, Assam, Imphal, Manipur, or whatever else you consider useful. Search using locality names also.
- Updates/ fresh data on dementia support facilities/ services may also be available from the contact numbers of various dementia organizations and elder care organizations listed above
- The reception/ nurses at local hospitals often know about agencies that supply attendants/ nurses for home care.
- Many large path lab services also provide home pickup of blood samples.
- Many neighborhood path labs and small clinics are able to send nurses home for some minor procedures, like IV. Some even have contacts of doctors who may be willing to make home visits (you must satisfy yourself about the quality and reliability)
If you are looking for information and suggestions for handling care situations, some useful links are: Quick access to a Caregiving Essential Toolkit and Using Trained Attendants for Dementia Home Care.
Please note that Dementia Care Notes does NOT provide any services or any medical consultation.
Note: This page includes all the information available with us for this city/ region. Please note that the data is provided for information and convenience, and is not an endorsement for any person/ organization/ service/ resource. We make no claims that the contents of this page are either accurate or complete, or that the persons/ organizations listed are reliable or that they are suitable for you (no fitment for purpose is intended or implied).