This page contains information specific for dementia care in North-East India, currently on Assam (Guwahati), Manipur (Imphal) and Mizoram (Aizawl). It has been created for the convenience of caregivers of patients of Alzheimer’s Disease and other forms of dementia. [read disclaimer.]
- Facilities for patients of Alzheimer’s/ other dementias.
- Dementia-related material in various Indian languages (including Assamese and Bengali).
- General tips for locating relevant resources in a city.
While this page includes several possible dementia care resources and some contact information on these, please note that:
1) You will need to evaluate them for suitability and reliability.
2) Entities keep changing their activities, so please contact them for updated information.
3) Though many entities have websites and social media profiles, they may not update them for changes in contact information. If the contact information does not work, try to locate which social media platform they posted recently on and post your query there.
4) Many organizations do not respond promptly to emails, or even queries on social media accounts. If you don’t get a response, call their phone numbers or try WhatsApp. Also, many organizations now use mobile numbers for their main contact even if their sites/ social media profiles show landlines.
5) Information on the web about the entity may be helpful, but different web sources will have different data for the same entity, and you will still need to find out what is correct now.
Facilities for patients of Alzheimer’s/ other dementias.
- National Helpline for Senior Citizens: Toll-free helpline number 14567 Project of Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment and the National Institute of Social Defence.
- Helpage helpline: All-India toll-free number: 1800 180 1253 .Contact them for help and also to reach any local numbers.
- Tele counselling helpline for mental health, Tele-MANAS: Toll-free, 24/7 helpline number 14416 or 1-800-91-4416, also usable for dementia, by the Union Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, available in many languages.
ARDSI Guwahati Chapter (Guwahati Chapter of Alzheimer’s and Related Disorders Society of India).
ARDSI – Guwahati Chapter (All data below confirmed in Oct 2022)
Address: House No-10, Rukmini Nagar Path, Dispur, Guwahati-781006
Phone No: 98640 15872, 80117 73850, Email Id: email@example.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/people/Dementia-Assam/100073154652078/ Opens in new window.
ARDSI Guwahati also has a memory clinic : The Reeta Barua Memorial Memory Clinic and a Dementia Day Care. Both are at: House No. 10, Rukmini Nagar Path, Dispur, Guwahati-06.
The memory clinic is open on weekdays for consultations and assessment. It is handled by Ms. Debastuti Barua and Jumona Hazarika. Contact them for the latest status, timings, and appointments at 70359 07918 or through
the neuro OPD (phone +91 8253 99124 Extension 176) or use the ARDSI Guwahati numbers.
For the Day care Center, contact Mr.Dibyajyoti Goswami, 70359-07918, Debastuti Baruah-98640 15872 & Jumona Hazarika-86382-89805 to find the working timings and other details.
The chapter also has an app, Sampark Eldercare Opens in new window , for services like doctor visit, physiotherapist, ·clinical psychologist, caregivers, and for informative videos.
Organizations supporting dementia care.
Aakuali Based on some caregiver feedback received indirectly in Oct 2021, this Guwahati-based organization can be helpful to support families coping with dementia. Please look at their site, aakualicare.com Opens in new window and contact them to find out more.
ARDSI Mizoram Chapter (Mizoram Chapter of Alzheimer’s and Related Disorders Society of India).
ARDSI Mizoram Chapter, A/76 Hermon Street Electric Veng Aizawl, Mizoram 796 007, India. The chapter provides support for home care, counselling, caregiver training, and also has a WhatsApp group for information and support. There is a helpline at 93661 91341/ 93661 8946.
Contact person: Dr. H.K. Laldinpuii Fente, Professor, Department of Psychology, Mizoram University, Mizoram, Aizawl – 796 004, Phone: 094361 40870 / 87947 16364. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com Facebook presence Opens in new window.
ARDSI Manipur Chapter (Manipur Chapter of Alzheimer’s and Related Disorders Society of India).
ARDSI, Manipur Chapter, Palace Compound Near Govindaji Temple Imphal-795001 ( Manipur) India.
Contact : 098563 77484, 089749 71851, +91 897 402 4889. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Additional Listings: Other possible resources for dementia information/ diagnosis.
Various news reports from dementia programs suggest that experts/ organizations concerned or knowledgeable about dementia can be reached in Imphal at places like JNIMS (Jawaharlal Nehru Institute of Medical Sciences Hospital) and the Department of Psychiatry, RIMS (Regional Institute of Medical Sciences) also.
Additional Listings: organizations that may support home care.
Some multi-city organizations may be offering support in your city/ locality. Multi-city organizations keep adding and removing locations and services, but usually have more presence in their home state, metros and larger cities. A service that is good in one city may not be good in another. Quality changes over time, if management/ funding changes, or there is a takeover / merger. Please evaluate before use. Typical services to ask about are home nursing (attendants, nurses, wound care and nursing procedures), physiotherapy, doctor visits, speech therapy, stroke rehab, home dental care, sample collections, equipment hire, pharmacy at home, ICU at home, etc. Also, ask about dementia care. List below is alphabetically ordered. If they claim to provide emergency support, please find out the particulars to see if dependable.
- Lifecircle Senior Care : For home care services and medical equipment. Contact number different for different cities (see site). Email email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, Site lifecircle.in Opens in new window, Facebook page here Opens in new window.
- Mayacare: (NGO, for free assistance to senior citizens – aides, assistance for chores, shopping, digital work, other transactions and work, etc. Contact +91-95525 10400, +91-95525 10411, Email: email@example.com, Site: mayacare.org Opens in new window, Facebook page here Opens in new window.
- Portea : Offers a range of services like home nursing support, physiotherapy, doctor visits, investigations, equipment supply, etc. Contact 1800 121 2323 Email firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, Site: portea.com Opens in new window, Facebook page here Opens in new window.
Additional Listings: Important organizations working for seniors.
Helpage helpline: This all-India organization with local branches supports senior citizens in multiple ways. They may also offer geriatric physiotherapy.Contact them at 1800 180 1253 (All-India tollfree number). Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: helpageindia.org.
As per some newspaper reports, Assam has senior citizen associations such as Assam Senior Citizen Association and Guwahati Senior Citizen Association. More details are not currently available, but you can try to locate and contact them.
Manipur has a “Senior Citizen’s for Society Manipur” (SCSM) association. More details are not currently available, but you can try to locate and contact them.
Dementia-related material in various Indian languages (including Assamese and Bengali).
The full list of dementia/ care resources in various Indian languages (currently Assamese, Bengali, Gujarati, Hindi, Kannada, Konkani, Malayalam, Marathi, Punjabi, Tamil, Telugu, and Urdu) is at Dementia/ Alzheimer’s Resources in Indian Languages.
General tips for locating relevant resources.
Please contact the resources above for dementia/ care support. For resources in other Indian cities/ regions, or across India, check City-wise/ Region-wise resources and Resources across multiple Indian cities. Some tips for locating additional resources:
- Surf the Internet for local services using the name of the city and types of services. For example, look for home care, home health, old age homes, nursing agencies, etc.
- For diagnosis, look at reliable larger hospitals of the city. Check their neurology, psychiatry, and geriatrics departments or special clinics like memory clinics, geriatric clinics, or geriatric psychiatry clinics.
- For better search results, try using the state name, locality name, other names of your city or nearby cities.
- When using online data to identify a possible service provider, check how recent the data is. For this, see events, pictures, social media posts. Try to understand whether the entity seems operational.
- Contact the various dementia organizations and elder care organizations listed above and ask them for names of more resources.
- Ask the reception/ nurses at local hospitals. They often know about home health care agencies.
- For minor procedures, like IV, neighborhood path labs and small clinics may be able to send nurses home. They may even have contacts of doctors who make home visits.
- Of course, in all cases, you must satisfy yourself about the quality and reliability.
For information and suggestions for handling care situations, some useful links are: Quick access to a Caregiving Essential Toolkit and Using Trained Attendants for Dementia Home Care. Please note that Dementia Care Notes does NOT provide any services or any medical consultation.
Note: This page includes all the information available with us for this city/ region. Please note that the data is provided for information and convenience, and is not an endorsement for any person/ organization/ service/ resource. We make no claims that the contents of this page are either accurate or complete, or that the persons/ organizations listed are reliable or that they are suitable for you. No fitment for purpose is intended or implied.