This page contains information specific for dementia care in Gujarat, such as in Ahmedabad, for the convenience of caregivers of persons with Alzheimer’s Disease and other forms of dementia. [read disclaimer]
- Facilities for persons with Alzheimer’s/ other dementias.
- Dementia-related material in various Indian languages (including Gujarati).
- General tips for locating relevant resources in a city.
While this page includes several possible dementia care resources and some contact information on these, please note that:
1> You will need to evaluate them for suitability and reliability
2> Entities keep changing their activities, so please contact them for updated information.
3> Though many entities have websites and social media profiles, they may not update them for changes in contact information. If the contact information does not work, try to locate which social media platform they posted recently on and post your query there
4> Note that many organizations do not respond promptly to emails – so if you don’t get a response, call their phone numbers or try Whatsapp. Also, many organizations now use mobile numbers for their main contact even if their sites/ social media profiles show landlines.
Helplines for senior citizens:
- Helpage helpline: All-India toll-free number: 1800 180 1253 . Contact them for help and also to reach any local numbers.
- National Helpline for Senior Citizens: Toll-free helpline number 14567
Papaya Care, an assisted living facility for seniors started in July 2016, can accommodate 36 seniors. It accepts seniors with varying needs of care, including seniors who had strokes, surgeries, etc., and it also accepts persons with dementia. Contact them for more about their facilities and services and to evaluate them for suitability, etc. Some related videos: PapayaCare on CNBC Awaaz news Opens in new window, and videos by Papaya Care (here Opens in new window and here Opens in new window).
Papaya Care Assisted Living Services24 x 7 Care Home
Flat No 1202 B Block Tivoli Tower, Off To Sarkhej Gandhinagar Highway, Godrej Garden City, Jagatpur, Gujarat – 382470, Website: papayacare.com Opens in new window , Email: email@example.com, Phones: +91-9925390425 (India), +1-832-647-8304 (USA)
Update: Oct 2021: They confirm they are still operational.
Additional Listings: For dementia information/ diagnosis/ care
Varishta provides in person counseling in Ahmedabad and online / tele-counseling for other cities. This is in both Gujarati and English. See their site Varishta.org Opens in new window (both English and Gujarati). You can reach them by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or use the contact form at the contact page on their site.
Additional Listings: or organizations providing services to support home care
Some multi-city organizations that may be offering support in Gujarat. Please note, service that is good in one city may not be good in another. Typical services to ask about: home nursing (attendants, nurses, wound care and nursing procedures), physiotherapy, doctor visits, home dental care, sample collections, equipment hire, pharmacy at home, etc. Known available for Ahmedabad listed below:
- Portea : (Bangalore-based) Contact 1800 121 2323 Website portea.com
Additional Listings: Important organizations working for seniors
Prominent organizations working for seniors are (alphabetic order):
- Dignity Foundation: This Mumbai-based organization works for senior citizens through initiatives in some large cities. The Ahmedabad office is at Dignity Foundation, 205, 2nd Floor, Gagandeep Tower, Opp. Bank of India, Paldi Cross Road, Ahmedabad, Gujarat – 380007, Mobile No. : 94266 39033, 079265 80403 (Working hours only) Email: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, Facebook page: www.facebook.com/DignityFoundation Website : www.dignityfoundation.com
- Helpage helpline: This all-India organization with local branches supports senior citizens in multiple ways. They may also offer geriatric physiotherapy.Contact them at 1800 180 1253 (All-India tollfree number) Email: email@example.com Website: helpageindia.org
- Misc: one social startup that supports seniors is Ahmedabad-based The Family Member which aims to provide medical & non-medical healthcare services and to support lonely elders through sending caretakers for help and for fun-loving activities. Their Facebook page is at: www.facebook.com/thefamilymember/
The full list of dementia/ care resources in various Indian languages (currently Assamese, Bengali, Gujarati, Hindi, Kannada, Konkani, Malayalam, Marathi, Punjabi, Tamil, Telugu, and Urdu) is at Dementia/ Alzheimer’s Resources in Indian Languages
- A list of local services can usually be obtained by surfing the Internet using keywords and the name of the city, and looking for various types of services. Most cities will have some home care services, old age homes, nursing agencies, etc. The larger hospitals of the city will usually have memory clinics, geriatric clinics, or geriatric psychiatry clinics to help the initial diagnosis of dementia. Search for these combined with your city name and other such phrases.
- Use various combinations and alternate city names for more suitable results. For example, you may look for Gujarat, Gujrat, Ahmedabad, Baroda, Valsad, Gandhi Nagar , or whatever else you consider useful. Search using locality names also.
- Updates/ fresh data on dementia support facilities/ services may also be available from the contact numbers of various dementia organizations and elder care organizations listed above
- The reception/ nurses at local hospitals often know about agencies that supply attendants/ nurses for home care.
- Many large path lab services also provide home pickup of blood samples.
- Many neighborhood path labs and small clinics are able to send nurses home for some minor procedures, like IV. Some even have contacts of doctors who may be willing to make home visits (you must satisfy yourself about the quality and reliability)
If you are looking for information and suggestions for handling care situations, some useful links are: Quick access to a Caregiving Essential Toolkit and Using Trained Attendants for Dementia Home Care.
Please note that Dementia Care Notes does NOT provide any services or any medical consultation.
Note: This page includes all the information available with us for this city/ region. Please note that the data is provided for information and convenience, and is not an endorsement for any person/ organization/ service/ resource. We make no claims that the contents of this page are either accurate or complete, or that the persons/ organizations listed are reliable or that they are suitable for you (no fitment for purpose is intended or implied).