This page contains information specific for dementia care in Gujarat, such as in Ahmedabad and Valsad, for the convenience of caregivers of persons with Alzheimer’s Disease and other forms of dementia. [read disclaimer]
- Facilities for persons with Alzheimer’s/ other dementias.
- Dementia-related material in various Indian languages (including Gujarati).
- General tips for locating relevant resources in a city.
Quick Ref: To quickly locate the full-time cares in Gujarat, look for the symbol
24 x 7 Care Home.
Helplines for senior citizens: Helpage helpline: All-India toll-free number: 1800 180 1253 . Local Ahmedabad office: 079-25601441
Papaya Care, an assisted living facility for seniors started in July 2016, can accommodate 36 seniors. It accepts seniors with varying needs of care, including seniors who had strokes, surgeries, etc., and it also accepts persons with dementia. Contact them for more about their facilities and services and to evaluate them for suitability, etc. Some related videos: PapayaCare on CNBC Awaaz news Opens in new window, and videos by Papaya Care (here Opens in new window and here Opens in new window).
Due to COVID, full time care homes may have closed or changed the way they admit new residents or have procedures that protect residents, like not allowing visitors, etc. Please contact the organization to know the current status and satisfy yourself about the suitability for residential care in COVID times.
Papaya Care Assisted Living Services24 x 7 Care Home
Flat No 1202 B Block Tivoli Tower, Off To Sarkhej Gandhinagar Highway, Godrej Garden City, Jagatpur, Gujarat – 382470, Website: papayacare.com Opens in new window , Email: email@example.com, Phones: +91-9925390425 (India), +1-832-647-8304 (USA)
Additional Listings: For dementia information/ diagnosis/ care
Varishta provides in person counseling in Ahmedabad and online / tele-counseling for other cities. This is in both Gujarati and English. See their site Varishta.org Opens in new window (both English and Gujarati). You can reach them by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or use the contact form at the contact page on their site.
Additional Listings: or organizations providing services to support home care
Some multi-city organizations that may be offering support in Gujarat. Please note, service that is good in one city may not be good in another. Typical services to ask about: home nursing (attendants, nurses, wound care and nursing procedures), physiotherapy, doctor visits, home dental care, sample collections, equipment hire, pharmacy at home, etc. Some of them may claim to support dementia care. List below is alphabetically ordered:
- HealthCare atHOME (HCAH): (Noida-based)( by the Burman family (Dabur) and the founders of Healthcare At Home (HAH), UK) Contact 1800-102-4224 Website https://hcah.in/
- India Home Health Care (IHHC): (Chennai based) (partner of BAYADA Home Health Care) Contact +91 76764 33333 (Whatsapp +91-7755912869). Website www.indiahomehealthcare.com
- Portea : (Bangalore-based) Contact 1800 121 2323 Website portea.com
Additional Listings: Important organizations working for seniors
Prominent organizations working for seniors are (alphabetic order):
- Dignity Foundation: This Mumbai-based organization works for senior citizens through initiatives in some large cities. The Ahmedabad office is at Dignity Foundation, 205, 2nd Floor, Gagandeep Tower, Opp. Bank of India, Paldi Cross Road, Ahmedabad, Gujarat – 380007, Mobile No. : 94266 39033, 079265 80403 (Working hours only) Email: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, Facebook page: www.facebook.com/DignityFoundation Website : www.dignityfoundation.com
- Helpage helpline: This all-India organization with local branches supports senior citizens in multiple ways. They may also offer geriatric physiotherapy.Contact them at 1800 180 1253 (All-India tollfree number). Local Ahmedabad office: 079-25601441 Email: email@example.com, More emails: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: helpageindia.org
- Misc: one social startup that supports seniors is Ahmedabad-based The Family Member which aims to provide medical & non-medical healthcare services and to support lonely elders through sending caretakers for help and for fun-loving activities. Their Facebook page is at: www.facebook.com/thefamilymember/
The full list of dementia/ care resources in various Indian languages (currently Assamese, Bengali, Gujarati, Hindi, Kannada, Konkani, Malayalam, Marathi, Punjabi, Tamil, Telugu, and Urdu) is at Dementia/ Alzheimer’s Resources in Indian Languages
- A list of local services can usually be obtained by surfing the Internet using keywords and the name of the city, and looking for various types of services. Most cities will have some home care services, old age homes, nursing agencies, etc. The larger hospitals of the city will usually have memory clinics, geriatric clinics, or geriatric psychiatry clinics to help the initial diagnosis of dementia. Search for these combined with your city name and other such phrases.
- Use various combinations and alternate city names for more suitable results. For example, you may look for Gujarat, Gujrat, Ahmedabad, Baroda, Valsad, Gandhi Nagar , or whatever else you consider useful. Search using locality names also.
- Updates/ fresh data on dementia support facilities/ services may also be available from the contact numbers of various dementia organizations and elder care organizations listed above
- The reception/ nurses at local hospitals often know about agencies that supply attendants/ nurses for home care.
- Many large path lab services also provide home pickup of blood samples.
- Many neighborhood path labs and small clinics are able to send nurses home for some minor procedures, like IV. Some even have contacts of doctors who may be willing to make home visits (you must satisfy yourself about the quality and reliability)
If you are looking for information and suggestions for handling care situations, some useful links are: Quick access to a Caregiving Essential Toolkit and Using Trained Attendants for Dementia Home Care.
Please note that Dementia Care Notes does NOT provide any services or any medical consultation.
Note: This page includes all the information available with us for this city/ region. Please note that the data is provided for information and convenience, and is not an endorsement for any person/ organization/ service/ resource. We make no claims that the contents of this page are either accurate or complete, or that the persons/ organizations listed are reliable or that they are suitable for you (no fitment for purpose is intended or implied).