This page contains information specific for dementia care in Gujarat, such as in Ahmedabad, for the convenience of caregivers of persons with Alzheimer’s Disease and other forms of dementia. [read disclaimer.]
- Facilities for persons with Alzheimer’s/ other dementias.
- Dementia-related material in various Indian languages (including Gujarati).
- General tips for locating relevant resources in a city.
While this page includes several possible dementia care resources and some contact information on these, please note that:
1> You will need to evaluate them for suitability and reliability
2> Entities keep changing their activities, so please contact them for updated information.
3> Though many entities have websites and social media profiles, they may not update them for changes in contact information. If the contact information does not work, try to locate which social media platform they posted recently on and post your query there.
4> Many organizations do not respond promptly to emails, or even queries on social media accounts. If you don’t get a response, call their phone numbers or try Whatsapp. Also, many organizations now use mobile numbers for their main contact even if their sites/ social media profiles show landlines.
5>Information on the web about the entity may be helpful, bur different web sources will have different data for the same entity, and you will still need to find out what is correct now.
Helplines for senior citizens:
- Helpage helpline: All-India toll-free number: 1800 180 1253 . Contact them for help and also to reach any local numbers.
- National Helpline for Senior Citizens: Toll-free helpline number 14567
Papaya Care, an assisted living facility for seniors started in July 2016, can accommodate 36 seniors. It accepts seniors with varying needs of care, including seniors who had strokes, surgeries, etc., and it also accepts persons with dementia. Contact them for more about their facilities and services and to evaluate them for suitability, etc. Some related videos: PapayaCare on CNBC Awaaz news Opens in new window, and videos by Papaya Care (here Opens in new window and here Opens in new window).
Papaya Care Assisted Living Services24 x 7 Care Home.
Flat No 1202 B Block Tivoli Tower, Off To Sarkhej Gandhinagar Highway, Godrej Garden City, Jagatpur, Gujarat – 382470, Website: papayacare.com Opens in new window , Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Phones: +91-9925390425 (India), +1-832-647-8304 (USA).
Additional Listings: For dementia information/ diagnosis/ care.
Varishta provides in person counseling in Ahmedabad and online / tele-counseling for other cities. This is in both Gujarati and English. See their site Varishta.org Opens in new window (both English and Gujarati). You can reach them by email: email@example.com or use the contact form at the contact page on their site.
Additional Listings: or organizations providing services to support home care.
Some multi-city organizations may be offering support in your city/ locality. Multi-city organizations keep adding and removing locations and services, but usually have more presence in their home state, metros and larger cities. A service that is good in one city may not be good in another. Quality changes over time, if management/ funding changes, or there is a takeover / merger. Please evaluate before use. Typical services to ask about: home nursing (attendants, nurses, wound care and nursing procedures), physiotherapy, doctor visits, speech therapy, stroke rehab, home dental care, sample collections, equipment hire, pharmacy at home, ICU at home, etc. Also, ask about dementia care. List below is alphabetically ordered. If they claim to provide emergency support, please find out the particulars to see if dependable.
- Mayacare. NGO, for free assistance to senior citizens – aides, assistance for chores, shopping, digital work, other transactions and work, etc. Contact +91-9552510400, +91-9552510411, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Site: mayacare.org Opens in new window, Facebook page here Opens in new window.
- Portea. Offers a range of services like home nursing support, physiotherapy, doctor visits, investigations, equipment supply, etc. Contact 1800 121 2323 Email email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, Site: portea.com Opens in new window, Facebook page here Opens in new window.
Additional Listings: Important organizations working for seniors.
Prominent organizations working for seniors are (alphabetic order).
- Dignity Foundation: This Mumbai-based organization works for senior citizens through initiatives in some large cities. The Ahmedabad office is at Dignity Foundation, 205, 2nd Floor, Gagandeep Tower, Opp. Bank of India, Paldi Cross Road, Ahmedabad, Gujarat – 380007, Mobile No. : 94266 39033, 079265 80403 (Working hours only) Email: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, Facebook page: www.facebook.com/DignityFoundation Website : www.dignityfoundation.com
- Helpage helpline: This all-India organization with local branches supports senior citizens in multiple ways. They may also offer geriatric physiotherapy.Contact them at 1800 180 1253 (All-India tollfree number) Email: email@example.com Website: helpageindia.org.
- Misc: one social startup that supports seniors is Ahmedabad-based The Family Member which aims to provide medical & non-medical healthcare services and to support lonely elders through sending caretakers for help and for fun-loving activities. Their Facebook page is at: www.facebook.com/thefamilymember/ Opens in new window.
The full list of dementia/ care resources in various Indian languages (currently Assamese, Bengali, Gujarati, Hindi, Kannada, Konkani, Malayalam, Marathi, Punjabi, Tamil, Telugu, and Urdu) is at Dementia/ Alzheimer’s Resources in Indian Languages.
Please contact the resources above for dementia/ care support. For resources in other Indian cities/ regions, or across India, check City-wise/ Region-wise resources and Resources across multiple Indian cities. Some tips for locating additional resources:
- Surf the Internet for local services using the name of the city and types of services. For example, look for home care, home health, old age homes, nursing agencies, etc.
- For diagnosis, look at reliable larger hospitals of the city. Check their neurology, psychiatry, and geriatrics departments or special clinics like memory clinics, geriatric clinics, or geriatric psychiatry clinics.
- For better search results, try using the state name, locality name, other names of your city or nearby cities.
- When using online data to identify a possible service provider, check how recent the data is (see events, pictures, social media posts) also, to see if the entity seems operational.
- Contact the various dementia organizations and elder care organizations listed above and ask them for names of more resources.
- Ask the reception/ nurses at local hospitals. They often know about home health care agencies.
- For minor procedures, like IV, , neighborhood path labs and small clinics may be able to send nurses home. The may even have contacts of doctors who make home visits.
- Of course, in all cases, you must satisfy yourself about the quality and reliability.
For information and suggestions for handling care situations, some useful links are: Quick access to a Caregiving Essential Toolkit and Using Trained Attendants for Dementia Home Care. Please note that Dementia Care Notes does NOT provide any services or any medical consultation.
Note: This page includes all the information available with us for this city/ region. Please note that the data is provided for information and convenience, and is not an endorsement for any person/ organization/ service/ resource. We make no claims that the contents of this page are either accurate or complete, or that the persons/ organizations listed are reliable or that they are suitable for you (no fitment for purpose is intended or implied).