- From Varishta, Ahmedabad: Book, slideshare, and some posts in Gujarati
- From other Alzheimer’s Associations worldwide: short introductions for dementia/ Alzheimer’s Disease
- Videos in Gujarati(Youtube)
Varishta, a recent resource, has a bilingual site (English and Gujarati). While currently the Varishta site Opens in new window has only a few Gujarati pages and blog entries, more may be added over time. The site description is: ગુજરાતીમાં ડિમેન્શિયા વિષે માહીતી મેળવવાનું એકજ સ્થાન
One useful Gujarati resource from Varishta is a simple book on dementia and care.
Chitadu Chorayu - Dementia Ni Duniya ચિત્તડું ચોરાયું ( ડિમેન્શીયાની દુનિયા) (Daksha Bhat): This small book, with a modestly priced paperback, briefly covers dementia and its symptoms and types, diagnosis, medication overview, impact of dementia, caregiving, caregiver stress, daily routine, challenges, etc., and has some explanatory figures.Available from Varishta at this pageOpens in new window.
Varishta has also uploaded a Gujarati slideshare on dementia. If the player does not load below, you can view it here: Ageing is normal Dementia is not: Gujarati version Opens in new window:
From other Alzheimer’s Associations worldwide: short introductions for dementia/ Alzheimer’s Disease
Other countries also have Gujarati-speaking residents. Some of them may be providing published dementia/ Alzheimer’s and care information in Gujarati to help the residents understand about dementia and care, and so that these residents know about the resources/ services these countries have to help families coping with dementia (Note that the resource information in these booklets would be specific to the country that published the booklet). Please check with other Alzheimer’s Associations to see if they have published Gujarati booklets/ guides.
Some dementia organizations in the UK have created videos dubbed in various Indian languages to help their South Asian resident understand dementia and its symptoms. These are basic, useful videos. However, the services and support they mention refer to the UK—for India, you will need to locate suitable resources here.
- (From Alzheimer’s Society, UK): A small 3.5 minute introduction on dementia and its symptoms: Gujarati- Introduction to dementia from Atiq Hassan, Dementia Adviser. View it here Opens in new window.
- (From Birmingham and Solihull Mental Health NHS Foundation Trust , UK) “Living Well with Dementia – Gujarati version” is a longer video of 33:05 minutes with the voices dubbed in Gujarati(subtitles are English). It describes dementia and its symptoms and its impact on families and how to cope. Includes personal stories. View: Living Well with Dementia – Gujarati version Opens in new window.
- (From Alzheimer’s Society, UK): Two personal story videos, dubbed in Gujarati, each around 3.5 to 4 minutes long: Gujarati- Prabhakant and Kanta Patel – dementia Opens in new window and Gujarati- Stan and Denise Lintern – dementia Opens in new window.
- (From Varishta, Ahmedabad): A short, simple introduction to dementia, around 2:50 minutes long, is available from Varishta : Dementia & Alzheimer’s Overview in Gujarati Opens in new window.
Or view them as a playlist below:
(This section is under construction)
Page/ post last updated on: September 1, 2018