- From Dementia Hindi: 50+ page full-fledged website in Hindi
- From other Indian and International sites: short introductions for dementia/ Alzheimer’s Disease
- Videos and slideshares in Hindi (Youtube and others)
- From various dementia organizations: helplines, and in-person support in Hindi
- Others: movie depictions in Hindi movies
(Some sections of this page are still under construction.)
The Dementia Hindi website is a comprehensive online resource for dementia/ care information in Hindi. It is the Hindi version of Dementia Care Notes, and has several pages that explain dementia and related caregiving. Topics covered include:
- About dementia, diseases that cause it, diagnosis, treatment, risk factors, impact on behavior, status of dementia and care in India:the section डिमेंशिया के बारे में contains various pages: डिमेंशिया (मनोभ्रंश) क्या है, डिमेंशिया किन रोगों के कारण होता है, निदान, उपचार, बचाव, डिमेंशिया के चरण, डिमेंशिया का व्यक्ति के व्यवहार पर असर, and भारत में डिमेंशिया की स्थिति: 2015 (चित्रण).
- For caring for persons with dementia, handling aspects like planning, communication, behavior challenges, late-stage care, quality of life, coordination of care, stress, etc., the section देखभाल करने वालों के लिए (Caring for dementia persons) has several pages, including: घर पर देखभाल करना, देखभाल करने वाले का रोल, देखभाल की योजना, कम उम्र के डिमेंशिया की देखभाल, घर में बदलाव, <बातचीत कैसे करें, दैनिक कार्य में सहायता, मुश्किल व्यवहार को संभालना, कुछ विशेष व्यवहार समस्याएँ , अग्रिम/ अंतिम अवस्था में देखभाल, सहायक की नियुक्ति, देखभाल के लिए उपलब्ध सेवाएँ, व्यक्ति को सुखी रखने के उपाय, देखभाल और तनाव, मदद लेना, दूर से देखभाल, and other pages.
- Some caregiver voices are captured in the section आवाजें: भारत के ब्लॉग और साइट्स से which includes some stories from Hindi newspapers at आवाजें: हिंदी समाचार पत्रों से and some summarized caregiver interviews at आवाजें: देखभाल करने वाले, स्वयंसेवक, विशेषज्ञ .
- Dementia and Care resources in India are listed in this section: संसाधन (Resources)
For caregivers look for quick tips to handle communication and care challenges, there is a set of links at: देखभाल करने वालों के लिए ज़रूरी लिंक (Quicklinks for caregivers). A site map is available at: साईट मैप
Queries to this site can be sent in Hindi or English and will be answered in the same language. The contact page is at: सम्पर्क करें (Contact information)
There are some sites (Indian and International) that provide some introductory material on dementia (usually 1-2 page booklets on dementia or on some aspect of care. The Dementia Hindi website also maintains a page with links to various other Hindi resources from across the Internet डिमेंशिया/ अल्ज़ाइमर देखभाल पर हिंदी वेबसाइट (Informational Hindi websites on dementia / caregiving).
A Hindi blog on dementia and related care is available at: डिमेंशिया (मनोभ्रंश) और सम्बंधित देखभाल.
Videos with generall explanations on dementia, its symptoms and impact, and care
- (From Alzheimer’s Society, UK): A small dubbed 3.5 minute introduction on dementia and its symptoms: Hindi – Introduction to dementia from Atiq Hassan, Dementia Adviser. The support systems and services mentioned here are based on the UK, not on India. View it here.
- (From India): A small video on “What is the Difference between Alzheimer’s and Dementia”, using sketches to explain the topic. View it here: डिमेंशिया और अल्ज़ाइमर में क्या फर्क है.
- (From Birmingham and Solihull Mental Health NHS Foundation Trust , UK) “Living Well with Dementia – Hindi version” is a longer video of 33:05 minutes with the voices dubbed in Hindi (subtitles are English). It describes dementia and its symptoms and its impact on families and how to cope. Includes personal stories. The support systems and services mentioned here are based on the UK, not on India. View: Living Well with Dementia – Hindi version.
- (From India): A small video example of a family where a senior has dementia symptoms, and how the family adjusts. View it here: Helping with Activities of Daily Living: An example in Hindi.
- (From Alzheimer’s Society, UK): “A Dementia Guide” is a dubbed and subtitled long video intended for persons recently diagnosed with dementia and in relatively early stages of dementia. It helps them understand the diagnosis and plan for their future. It includes information on support, resources and services available in the UK. Has several personal stories. Some information may be useful for family caregivers living in India. View: Hindi version of A Dementia Guide.
You can also view this set as a playlist below:
A presentation providing an introduction to dementia, its symptoms, types, impact, care, etc., is also available on Slideshare. View it directly on Slideshare at: What is Dementia (डिमेंशिया क्या है?) or in the viewer below.
Caregiver experiences shared in Hindi
- (From India, in Hindi)
- A Hindi video describing a mother’s s dementia journey and sharing some general observations about it. View it at: My mother’s dementia journey (माँ का डिमेंशिया का सफ़र).)
- A Hindi video sharing personal experiences and observations as a dementia caregiver. View it at: Caregiving for my mother (डिमेंशिया से ग्रस्त माँ की देखभाल: मेरे अनुभव).)
- From India, in Hindi (not on youtube): Zindagi Live: Life with Alzheimer’s Disease – A Hindi news episode with caregiver interviews: A news feature on Alzheimer’s and its impact on caregivers (Hindi) is available at IBN7. The episode includes several caregivers and some expert opinions. Click here: Zindagi Live: Life with Alzheimer disease .
- (From Alzheimer’s Society, UK): Chanchalben Patel suffered from dementia. Her son and daughter-in-law describe their experiences as her caregiver (dubbed in Hindi). The support systems and services mentioned here are based on the UK, not on India. View it here: Hindi – Prabhakant and Kanta Patel — dementia.
You can also view these as a playlist (does not include the Zindagi Live videos) below:
Detailed videos on caregiving topics from India, suitable for families living here
Some specific detailed Hindi videos for family caregivers in India on two important topics:
- (From India): Family members often face problems communicating with someone with dementia. This detailed video discusses the types of problems that dementia persons face when trying to understand others or when talking to others. It offers communication methods suitable for such situations and uses pictures and sketches to explain. View the video here: डिमेंशिया और बातचीत: समस्याएँ और सुझाव.
- (From India): Most persons with dementia wander; some of them are not located for days, and some get seriously injured, even die. India does not have good support systems to locate and assist wandering dementia persons. This detailed Hindi video discuss the needs and restlessness that may cause wandering. It has suggestions for reducing wandering, and for how to get the persons home safe and fast in case they wander. Pictures and sketches are used to explain, and Hindi captions are available. View the video here: डिमेंशिया और भटकना/ खोना: परिवारों के लिए सुझाव.
You can also view this set as a playlist below:
A short and simple note to give family members an overview of what dementia care involves. View it directly on Slideshare at: डिमेंशिया से ग्रस्त व्यक्ति की देखभाल or in the viewer below.
Also, the Urdu videos available here may be useful: Dementia/ Alzheimer’s Resources in Urdu.
Many organizations working in the dementia domain in India have helplines and in-person support available in Hindi. This is especially so for organizations located in cities/ regions where Hindi is a prevalent language. So you may find more possible sources of support in your language of interest by checking the relevant city/ region resources. See City-wise/ Region-wise Dementia Care Information to locate possible organizations in your geographical area of interest.
The National Dementia Helpline also provides information and support in Hindi. Contact the NATIONAL DEMENTIA HELPLINE at 04842808088 (Mon-Sat 10 AM-4 PM).
There have been some well-known movies that depicted dementia. These movies vary a lot in how important the dementia aspect was in the movie plot. Some of these have some useful information on some aspects of dementia, and some have some misleading, or even outright wrong information. These movies include Maine Gandhi ko Nahin Maara, Black, Mai, U, Me aur Hum, etc. Read about them at: Indian movies depicting dementia.
Page/ post last updated on: March 10, 2017