- From Alzheimer’s Association of Bangladesh: full-fledged website and caregiver guide in Bengali
- From ARDSI Kolkata Chapter: Bengali books. Also, helpline and in-person support.
- From Old age/ Mental Health Portals from India: short introductions for dementia/ Alzheimer’s Disease
- From other Alzheimer’s Associations worldwide: short introductions for dementia/ Alzheimer’s Disease
- Videos in Bengali (Youtube)
- Also see: Other possible sources for Bengali information
(Some sections of this page are still under construction.)
The Alzheimer’s Association of Bangladesh website is a comprehensive online resource for dementia/ care information in Bengali.
This website has several pages in Bengali that explain dementia and related caregiving. Topics covered include:
- The 10 signs of dementia (as simple pictures and text): ডিমেনশিয়ার ১০টি প্রধান লক্ষণ
- About dementia, its symptoms, types, diagnosis, risk factors, treatment. etc.: ডিমেনশিয়া কি? , ডিমেনশিয়ার প্রকারভেদ , রোগ-সনাক্তকরণ বা ডায়াগনোসিস , ডিমেনশিয়ার প্রাথমিক লক্ষণ সমূহ , ঝুঁকিপূর্ণ বিষয় সমুহ ,ডিমেনশিয়ার চিকিৎসা .
- Care for dementia topics: who gives care, what does care involve, stress, self-care, etc: ডিমেনশিয়ায় পরিচর্যাকারী কে ? , ডিমেনশিয়া আক্রান্ত ব্যক্তির সাথে বসবাস এবং তাদের যত্ন নেওয়া , পরিচর্যাকারীর দৈহিক ও মানসিক চাপ , পরিচর্যাকারীর নিজের যত্ন .
- Some frequently asked questions, shared voices, etc: ডিমেনশিয়া সংক্রান্ত কতিপয় প্রশ্নের উত্তর , ডিমেনশিয়া কেয়ারগিবারস ভয়েস
Alzheimer’s Association of Bangladesh also has a Bengali caregiver help guide (PDF file) prepared with the help of Alzheimer’s Disease International (ADI) and the World Health Organisation (WHO) and released in Sept 2016. This guide is available with their permission on our site, here: Dementia Poricharjakarir Sohaika (Help for Caregivers). (You can also view it in the player below)
The Calcutta chapter of ARDSI (Alzheimer’s and Related Disorders Society of India) has published a book in Bengali.
Dementia Paricharyya ডিমেনশিয়ায় পরিচর্যা (Ed. Nilanjana Maulik): This slender, modestly-priced Bengali book explains day-to-day dementia care to caregivers. Topics covered include description of dementia, Alzheimer’s Disease, comparison of dementia with aging, how to interact with someone who has dementia, explanations and tips for several topics like communication, bathing and cleaning, various daily activities, healthy living, and also problems like depression, hallucinations and delusions. Coverage is good. The book does not have any illustrations. Available through the ARDSI Kolkata chapter. See their page.
Dementia Paricharyya (Part 2) ডিমেনশিয়ায় পরিচর্যা (দ্বিতীয় ভাগ)( (Ed. Nilanjana Maulik): This is part 2 of the caregiver manual from ARDSI Kolkata. It expands on topics like communication, general/personal care, behaviour, pain management, falls, wandering, home safety, emergency preparedness, outings, medication management, abuse & neglect, hospital stay, and end of life care. Available through the ARDSI Kolkata chapter.See their page.
The Chapter may also be having printed booklets on dementia/ care in Bengali.
ARDSI Kolkata is an active chapter working to support families with dementia. They have a helpline, and provide information, support, and counselling in Bengali. Contact them using their Dementia Helpline at 08232014540 Monday to Saturday, 10:00 am to 4:00 pm, or email them at firstname.lastname@example.org. More details on them are available at: Resources for dementia care: Kolkata (West Bengal)
From Old age/ Mental Health Portals from India: short introductions for dementia/ Alzheimer’s Disease
Old Age Solutions is a portal with information and resources for the elderly (from the Govt. of India and AIIMS). It has a Bengali version ; this includes a page on cognitive impairment and dementia সংজ্ঞাহানী ও ডিমেন্সিয়া .
White Swan Foundation, a website on mental health, has a Bengali section. This includes pages on dementia and Alzheimer’s Dementia ডিমেনশিয়া , Alzheimer’s Disease অ্যালঝাইমার্স ডিসিস্ , and Understanding Alzheimer’s Disease অ্যালঝাইমার্স ডিসিস্ বলতে কী বোঝায়? .
From other Alzheimer’s Associations worldwide: short introductions for dementia/ Alzheimer’s Disease
Some other countries that have Bengali-speaking residents have also published dementia/ Alzheimer’s and care information in Bengali to help the residents understand about dementia and care, and so that these residents know about the resources/ services these countries have to help families coping with dementia (Note that the resource information in these booklets is specific to the country that published the booklet).
- Booklet on dementia from Alzheimer’s Society (UK)
- Dementia booklet in Bengali (PDF file) from Scotland .
(This section is under construction)
Some dementia organizations in the UK have created videos dubbed in various Indian languages to help their South Asian resident understand dementia and its symptoms. These are basic, useful videos. However, the services and support they mention refer to the UK—for India, you will need to locate suitable resources here.
- (From Alzheimer’s Society, UK): A small 3.5 minute introduction on dementia and its symptoms (dubbed in Bengali): Bengali – Introduction to dementia from Atiq Hassan, Dementia Adviser. View it here.
- (From Birmingham and Solihull Mental Health NHS Foundation Trust , UK) “Living Well with Dementia – Bengali version” is a longer video of 33:05 minutes with the voices dubbed in Bengali (subtitles are English). It describes dementia and its symptoms and its impact on families and how to cope. Includes personal stories. View: Living Well with Dementia – Bengali version.
- (From Alzheimer’s Society, UK): Two personal story videos, dubbed in Bengali, each around 3.5 to 4 minutes long: Bengali – Prabhakant and Kanta Patel – dementia and Bengali – Stan and Denise Lintern – dementia.
- (From Alzheimer’s Society, UK): “A Dementia Guide” is a dubbed and subtitled long video intended for persons recently diagnosed with dementia and in relatively early stages of dementia. It helps them understand the diagnosis and plan for their future. It includes information on support, resources and services available in the UK. Has several personal stories. Some information may be useful for family caregivers living in India. View: Bengali/ Sylheti version of A Dementia Guide.
Or view them as a playlist below:
(This section is under construction)
Information on some organizations working in Kolkata is provided at our page here: Resources for dementia care: Kolkata (West Bengal) Some of these may be able to provide more support/ information in Bengali.
Page/ post last updated on: March 9, 2017