- Available at the Alzheimer’s Pakistan site: Guide for Dementia Care
- From ARDSI Hyderabad-Deccan Chapter: downloadable Urdu booklets, helpline, and support
- Videos in Urdu(Youtube)
- From other Alzheimer’s Associations worldwide: short introductions for dementia/ Alzheimer’s Disease
Some sections of this page are still under construction.
A full 32-page Urdu Guide is available to understand dementia and its caregiving. This guide, prepared as a project involving Alzheimer’s Pakistan, Alzheimer’s Disease International, and Department of Social Change and Medical Health, WHO, is available at the Alzheimer’s Pakistan website.
The document clearly states (page 3) that it may be “freely reviewed, abstracted, reproduced or translated, in part or in whole, but is not for sale or use in conjunction with commercial purpose.” It is therefore being made available in a viewer below for the convenience of readers.
The Alzheimer’s Pakistan site also has other Urdu material and information at its Urdu page.
The Hyderabad Deccan chapter of ARDSI (Alzheimer’s and Related Disorders of India) has a document available for download at: “What is dementia” (Urdu) (PDF file).
You can also call/ email them for availability of printed booklets on dementia/ care in Urdu. Their contact information is available on their website: ARDSI Hyderabad Deccan Chapter
(This section is under construction)
Some dementia organizations in the UK have created videos dubbed in various Indian languages to help their South Asian resident understand dementia and its symptoms. These are basic, useful videos. However, the services and support they mention refer to the UK—for India, you will need to locate suitable resources here.
- (From Alzheimer’s Society, UK): A small 3.5 minute introduction on dementia and its symptoms: Urdu- Introduction to dementia from Atiq Hassan, Dementia Adviser. View it here.
- (From Dr. Rashda Tabassum, UK): A 27 minute Urdu video with English subtitles, with a play depicting the difficulties of an Asian family in recognising a senior’s memory problems. Includes interviews with psychiatrists and practical advice. The resources suggested are UK based, but the video is quite informative.View it at: Yaadasht kaa safar: Journey Of Memory (Urdu, English Subs).
- (From Alzheimer’s Society, UK): “A Dementia Guide” is a dubbed and subtitled long video intended for persons recently diagnosed with dementia and in relatively early stages of dementia. It helps them understand the diagnosis and plan for their future. It includes information on support, resources and services available in the UK. Has several personal stories. Some information may be useful for family caregivers living in India. View: Urdu version of A Dementia Guide.
- (From Alzheimer’s Society, UK): Two personal story videos, dubbed in Urdu, each around 3.5 to 4 minutes long: Urdu- Prabhakant and Kanta Patel – dementia and Urdu- Stan and Denise Lintern – dementia.
Or view them as a playlist below:
Also, the videos available on the Urdu page may be useful: Urdu- Prabhakant and Kanta Patel – dementia.
Also, the Hindi videos available here may be useful: Dementia/ Alzheimer’s Resources in Hindi.
From other Alzheimer’s Associations worldwide: short introductions for dementia/ Alzheimer’s Disease
Some other countries that have Urdu-speaking residents have also published dementia/ Alzheimer’s and care information in Urdu to help the residents understand about dementia and care, and so that these residents know about the resources/ services these countries have to help families coping with dementia (Note that the resource information in these booklets is specific to the country that published the booklet).
- booklet on dementia from Alzheimer’s Society (UK).
- Urdu information booklet from Scotland: Urdu document on Dementia from Scotland (PDF file).
Page/ post last updated on: March 9, 2017