- Available at the Alzheimer’s Pakistan site: Resources in Urdu
- From ARDSI Hyderabad-Deccan Chapter: downloadable Urdu booklets, helpline, and support
- Videos in Urdu(Youtube)
- From other Alzheimer’s Associations worldwide: short introductions for dementia/ Alzheimer’s Disease
A 32-page Urdu Guide is available to understand dementia and its caregiving. This guide, prepared as a project involving Alzheimer’s Pakistan, Alzheimer’s Disease International, and Department of Social Change and Medical Health, WHO, is available at the Alzheimer’s Pakistan website.
The Alzheimer’s Pakistan site, alz.org.pk also has some other Urdu material and news available on its pages: Urdu pageOpens in new window and Publications page Opens in new window . You can also contact them at 146/1 Shadman Jail Road, Lahore Pakistan, Phone: +92-42-37420116, Email: email@example.com. Their FB page is at https://www.facebook.com/Alzheimers-Pakistan-113643042056244/.
The Hyderabad Deccan chapter of ARDSI (Alzheimer’s and Related Disorders of India) Opens in new window has a document available for download at: “What is dementia” (Urdu) (PDF file) Opens in new window.
You can also call/ email them for availability of printed booklets on dementia/ care in Urdu. Their contact information is available on their website: ARDSI Hyderabad Deccan Chapter Opens in new window
Some dementia organizations in the UK have created videos dubbed in various Indian languages to help their South Asian resident understand dementia and its symptoms. These are basic, useful videos. However, the services and support they mention refer to the UK—for India, you will need to locate suitable resources here.
- (From Alzheimer’s Society, UK): A small 3.5 minute introduction on dementia and its symptoms: Urdu- Introduction to dementia from Atiq Hassan, Dementia Adviser. View it here Opens in new window.
- (From Dr. Rashda Tabassum, UK): A 27 minute Urdu video with English subtitles, with a play depicting the difficulties of an Asian family in recognising a senior’s memory problems. Includes interviews with psychiatrists and practical advice. The resources suggested are UK based, but the video is quite informative.View it at: Yaadasht kaa safar: Journey Of Memory (Urdu, English Subs) Opens in new window.
- (From Alzheimer’s Society, UK): “A Dementia Guide” is a dubbed and subtitled long video intended for persons recently diagnosed with dementia and in relatively early stages of dementia. It helps them understand the diagnosis and plan for their future. It includes information on support, resources and services available in the UK. Has several personal stories. Some information may be useful for family caregivers living in India. View: Urdu version of A Dementia Guide Opens in new window.
- (From Alzheimer’s Society, UK): Two personal story videos, dubbed in Urdu, each around 3.5 to 4 minutes long: Urdu- Prabhakant and Kanta Patel – dementia Opens in new window and Urdu- Stan and Denise Lintern – dementia Opens in new window.
Or view them as a playlist below:
Also, the Hindi videos available here may be useful: Dementia/ Alzheimer’s Resources in Hindi.
From other Alzheimer’s Associations worldwide: short introductions for dementia/ Alzheimer’s Disease
Some other countries that have Urdu-speaking residents have also published dementia/ Alzheimer’s and care information in Urdu to help the residents understand about dementia and care, and so that these residents know about the resources/ services these countries have to help families coping with dementia (Note that the resource information in these booklets is specific to the country that published the booklet).
- Dementia Guide (Urdu) from Alzheimer’s Society (UK) Opens in new window.
- Urdu information booklet from Scotland: Urdu document on Dementia from Scotland (PDF file) Opens in new window.