This page contains information specific for dementia care in Kolkata, for the convenience of caregivers of patients of Alzheimer’s Disease and other forms of dementia. [read disclaimer]
- Facilities for patients of Alzheimer’s/ other dementias.
- Dementia-related material in various Indian languages (including Bengali).
- General tips for locating relevant resources in a city.
ARDSI Calcutta Chapter’s Dementia Helpline at 08232014540 Monday to Saturday, 10:00 am to 4:00 pm (old number, +91 33 32214540, not in use any more: update obtained June 2016)(www.ardsikolkata.org Opens in new window)
Helplines for senior citizens
- Helpage helpline: All-India toll-free number: 1800-180-1253. Kolkata number: 033-32904121/ 22492526
- Dignity helpline: Senior citizen helpline at + 91- 33 – 30690999, run by Dignity Foundation, working days, working hours only.
|Facility||Address and other details|
ARDSI Calcutta Chapter, Kolkata
ARDSI Calcutta Chapter
Offers counselling, care support, memory clinic, training for home carers, home visit, day care for dementia patients, etc, and runs helpline. Actively arranges events like awareness programs. Also contact to check availability of dementia/ caregiving material in English and Bengali
Operating Hours: 10:00am – 4:00 pm (Monday- Saturday)
One ARDSI Calcutta Chapter project is the “Bholanath Das Dementia Clinic and Research Centre” in Chandernagore, West Bengal, Pin 712138. This is open on Sunday mornings 10:00 am to 2: pm, Phone: 9062925183 (update received: April 2018).
|Additional Listings: Other possible resources for dementia information/ diagnosis/ care (based on information from volunteers/ caregivers/ news-reports of dementia-related events)||
Calcutta Metropolitan Institute of Gerontology sometimes offers dementia training. Website: Calcutta Metropolitan Institute of Gerontology Opens in new window
National Neurosciences Centre, is another possible resource for diagnosis support. Their contact:
Earlier information indicated a diagnosis resource as
Additional Listings: Organizations providing services to support home care/ may support some dementia care
Names received from readers/ volunteers/ newspaper reports/ other sources for organizations that provide home care services for seniors. Some of them may support dementia care, and even have facilities that accept dementia persons. Please satisfy yourself about the suitability and reliability while using any such agency for home health helpers:
Tribeca care: This claims to provide some dementia-related services and support. More information is not available, so please contact them to check reliability and suitability. Website at tribecacare.com, contact numbers: +91 33 40277777 / +91 8017770323
Some names obtained from newspaper reports but with no validation/ additional data are: Care Continuum (Site: carecontinuum.in) Grace Care Medical Equipment Rental & Sales (Site: www.gracecare.co.in) , Swasthier Home Health Services (Site: swasthier.com/)
Some multi-city organizations that may be offering support in Kolkata. Please note, service that is good in one city may not be good in another. Typical services to ask about: home nursing (attendants, nurses, wound care and nursing procedures), physiotherapy, doctor visits, home dental care, sample collections, equipment hire, pharmacy at home, etc. Some of them may claim to support dementia care. List below is alphabetically ordered
Apollo HomeCare (from Apollo Hospitals): Contact 1860 500 8585: Website http://apollohomecare.com/
Unfortunately, it is very difficult to get trained attendants, and many families use general attendants and train them on dementia themselves or with the help of volunteers. Even attendants trained by agencies for dementia often need additional training. Read a detailed discussion on this topic at: Using Trained Attendants for Dementia Home Care. Also, please ensure that you evaluate any service/ facility before using it.
|Additional Listings: Important organizations working for seniors||
Prominent organizations working for seniors are (alphabetic order):
Calcutta Metropolitan Institute of Gerontology Opens in new window works in the area of elder care, offering services to elders, doing training, research and publications, including training people for geriatric care.
Dignity Foundation, Kolkata: This Mumbai-based organization works for senior citizens through initiatives in some large cities. Contact the Kolkata branch at 20 L, Dhakuria Station Road, P.O.- Dhakuria (Landmark: near Ramachandra Boys High School), Kolkata – 700 031
Helpage helpline: This all-India organization with local branches supports senior citizens in multiple ways. They may also offer geriatric physiotherapy.Contact them at 1800 180 1253 (All-India tollfree number). Local Kolkata office: 033-32904121/ 22492526 Email: email@example.com, Website: helpageindia.org Opens in new window (Please note that the Dementia Day Care project of Helpage India, earlier at Kalyan Ashram, Paramhansa Deb Road, Kolkata, has been discontinued. Contact Helpage directly to see if they have any new offering specifically for dementia.
Click here for our full list of dementia/ care resources in various Indian languages (currently Assamese, Bengali, Gujarati, Hindi, Kannada, Konkani, Malayalam, Marathi, Punjabi, Tamil, Telugu, and Urdu): Dementia/ Alzheimer’s Resources in Indian Languages
Please contact the resources listed above if you are looking for dementia/ care support. If you are looking for resources in other Indian cities/ regions, or across India, check City-wise/ Region-wise resources andResources across multiple Indian cities. Below are some tips for locating additional resources:
- A list of local services can usually be obtained by surfing the Internet using keywords and the name of the city, and looking for various types of services. Most cities will have some home care services, old age homes, nursing agencies, etc. The larger hospitals of the city will usually have memory clinics, geriatric clinics, or geriatric psychiatry clinics to help the initial diagnosis of dementia. Search for these combined with your city name and other such phrases.
- Use various combinations and alternate city names for more suitable results.For example, you may look for Kolkata, Kolkatta, Calcutta , or whatever else you consider useful. Search using locality names also.
- Updates/ fresh data on dementia support facilities/ services may also be available from the National Dementia Helpline ( 0484-277-5088). E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org) or other helplines handled by the ARDSI National Office (09846198471,09846198786, 09846198473)
- The reception/ nurses at local hospitals often know about agencies that supply attendants/ nurses for home care.
- Many large path lab services also provide home pickup of blood samples.
- Many neighborhood path labs and small clinics are able to send nurses home for some minor procedures, like IV. Some even have contacts of doctors who may be willing to make home visits (you must satisfy yourself about the quality and reliability)
Also note, contact numbers and addresses keep changing. If you have an problems old number/ name of hospital/ doctor, etc., get the latest details using local telephone inquiry/ assistance services.
Please note that Dementia Care Notes does NOT provide any services or any medical consultation.
Disclaimer:Data on this page is provided for information and convenience, and is not an endorsement for any person/ organization/ service/ resource. We make no claims that the contents of this page are either accurate or complete, or that the persons/ organizations listed are reliable or that they are suitable for you (no fitment for purpose is intended or implied).
Page/ post last updated on: November 22, 2019