This page contains information specific for dementia care in Kolkata, for the convenience of caregivers of patients of Alzheimer’s Disease and other forms of dementia. [read disclaimer]
- Facilities for patients of Alzheimer’s/ other dementias.
- Dementia-related material in various Indian languages (including Bengali).
- General tips for locating relevant resources in a city.
Helplines for senior citizens
- Helpage helpline: All-India toll-free number: 1800-180-1253. Kolkata number: 033-32904121/ 22492526
- Dignity helpline: Senior citizen helpline at + 91- 33 – 30690999, run by Dignity Foundation, working days, working hours only.
Dementia helplines: ARDSI Calcutta Chapter’s Dementia Helpline at 08232014540 Monday to Saturday, 10:00 am to 4:00 pm
ARDSI Calcutta Chapter, Kolkata (Calcutta/ Kolkata chapter of Alzheimer’s and Related Disorders Society of India)
Offers counselling, care support, memory clinic, training for home carers, home visit, day care for dementia patients, etc, and runs helpline. Actively arranges events like awareness programs. Also contact to check availability of dementia/ caregiving material in English and Bengali.
15/3C Naskarpara Lane, Kolkata – 700031
Operating Hours: 10:00am – 4:00 pm (Monday- Saturday)
Contact person: Ms. Nilanjana Maulik (Secretary of the chapter), Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Web: www.ardsikolkata.org Opens in new window, Telephones(try all) -08232014540 Mobile: +91 93310-39839, 9830460306
ARDSI Calcutta Dementia Daycare Centre, Sriti Sudhay, C 144 Survey Park, Kolkata 700075, (10 am to 4 pm, Monday to Saturday), Phone: 9331039839/ 03332017044/ 08232014540
One ARDSI Calcutta Chapter project is the “Bholanath Das Dementia Clinic and Research Centre” in Chandernagore, West Bengal, Pin 712138. Open Sunday mornings 10:00 am to 2: pm, Phone: 9062925183 (update received: April 2018).
Update July 12, 2020: While the daycare was closed due to the COVID lockdown, their memory clinic is running in Chandanagore, home companionship service is open, phone counselling is available, and online carer support meets and training and awareness events continue. Please contact them for specifics and updates.
Additional Listings: Other possible resources for dementia information/ diagnosis/ care
(based on information from volunteers/ caregivers/ news-reports of dementia-related events)
Calcutta Metropolitan Institute of Gerontology sometimes offers dementia training. Website: Calcutta Metropolitan Institute of Gerontology Opens in new window
National Neurosciences Centre, is another possible resource for diagnosis support. Their contact:
Peerless Hospital, II Floor, 360 Panchasayar, Kolkata 700 094, Tel nos: (033) 2432 0777/2432 0999, Fax: (91-33) 2432 0682
Site: www.nnccalcutta.com Opens in new window
Earlier information indicated a diagnosis resource as Dr. Trishit Roy & Dr. Atanu Viswas, 58, Sambhunath Pandit Street, Kolkata-25, Phone : 9830204837
Additional Listings: Organizations providing services to support home care/ may support some dementia care
Names received from readers/ volunteers/ newspaper reports/ other sources for organizations that provide home care services for seniors. Some of them may support dementia care, and even have facilities that accept dementia persons. Please satisfy yourself about the suitability and reliability while using any such agency for home health helpers:
Tribeca care: This claims to provide some dementia-related services and support. More information is not available, so please contact them to check reliability and suitability. Website at tribecacare.com, contact numbers: +91 33 40277777 / +91 8017770323.
Some names obtained from newspaper reports but with no validation/ additional data are: Care Continuum (Site: carecontinuum.in) Grace Care Medical Equipment Rental & Sales (Site: www.gracecare.co.in) , Swasthier Home Health Services (Site: swasthier.com/) .
Some multi-city organizations that may be offering support in Kolkata. Please note, service that is good in one city may not be good in another. Typical services to ask about: home nursing (attendants, nurses, wound care and nursing procedures), physiotherapy, doctor visits, home dental care, sample collections, equipment hire, pharmacy at home, etc. Some of them may claim to support dementia care. List below is alphabetically ordered:
Apollo HomeCare (from Apollo Hospitals): Contact 1860 500 8585: Website apollohomecare.com/
Portea : (Bangalore-based) Contact 1800 121 2323 Website portea.com
Additional Listings: Important organizations working for seniors
Prominent organizations working for seniors are (alphabetic order):
Calcutta Metropolitan Institute of Gerontology Opens in new window works in the area of elder care, offering services to elders, doing training, research and publications, including training people for geriatric care.
Dignity Foundation, Kolkata: This Mumbai-based organization works for senior citizens through initiatives in some large cities. Contact the Kolkata branch at 20 L, Dhakuria Station Road, P.O.- Dhakuria (Landmark: near Ramachandra Boys High School), Kolkata – 700 031, Phone: 033-3069 0999/ 2418 7937, Email (try all): email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, Website :www.dignityfoundation.com/
Helpage helpline: This all-India organization with local branches supports senior citizens in multiple ways. They may also offer geriatric physiotherapy.Contact them at 1800 180 1253 (All-India tollfree number). Local Kolkata office: 033-32904121/ 22492526 Email:email@example.com, Website: helpageindia.org Opens in new window.
The full list of dementia/ care resources in various Indian languages (currently Assamese, Bengali, Gujarati, Hindi, Kannada, Konkani, Malayalam, Marathi, Punjabi, Tamil, Telugu, and Urdu) is at Dementia/ Alzheimer’s Resources in Indian Languages
- A list of local services can usually be obtained by surfing the Internet using keywords and the name of the city, and looking for various types of services. Most cities will have some home care services, old age homes, nursing agencies, etc. The larger hospitals of the city will usually have memory clinics, geriatric clinics, or geriatric psychiatry clinics to help the initial diagnosis of dementia. Search for these combined with your city name and other such phrases.
- Use various combinations and alternate city names for more suitable results. For example, you may look for Kolkata, Kolkatta, Calcutta, or whatever else you consider useful. Search using locality names also.
- Updates/ fresh data on dementia support facilities/ services may also be available from the contact numbers of various dementia organizations and elder care organizations listed above
- The reception/ nurses at local hospitals often know about agencies that supply attendants/ nurses for home care.
- Many large path lab services also provide home pickup of blood samples.
- Many neighborhood path labs and small clinics are able to send nurses home for some minor procedures, like IV. Some even have contacts of doctors who may be willing to make home visits (you must satisfy yourself about the quality and reliability)
If you are looking for information and suggestions for handling care situations, some useful links are: Quick access to a Caregiving Essential Toolkit and Using Trained Attendants for Dementia Home Care.
Please note that Dementia Care Notes does NOT provide any services or any medical consultation.
Note: This page includes all the information available with us for this city/ region. Please note that the data is provided for information and convenience, and is not an endorsement for any person/ organization/ service/ resource. We make no claims that the contents of this page are either accurate or complete, or that the persons/ organizations listed are reliable or that they are suitable for you (no fitment for purpose is intended or implied).