This page contains information specific for dementia care in North-East India, currently on Assam (Guwahati), Manipur (Imphal) and Mizoram (Aizawl). It has been created for the convenience of caregivers of patients of Alzheimer’s Disease and other forms of dementia. [read disclaimer] 
- Facilities for patients of Alzheimer’s/ other dementias .
- Dementia-related material in various Indian languages (including Assamese and Bengali) .
- General tips for locating relevant resources in a city .
For dementia help, contact the various dementia organizations listed below.
Helplines for senior citizens
- Helpage helpline: All-India toll-free number: 1800-180-1253. Guwahati number +91 361 222 8330 / +91 8011527423
|Facility||Address and other details|
|ARDSI Guwahati Chapter
(Guwahati Chapter of Alzheimer’s and Related Disorders Society of India)
ARDSI – Guwahati Chapter
ARDSI Guwahati started a memory clinic in January 2015: The Reeta Barua Memorial Memory Clinic. The clinic is open on weekdays for consultations and assessment. It is handled by Ms. Ankita Kakati. The clinic is at Sonabeel Commercial Complex ( above M/S Chandrani Pearls / Kingkini Jewellers ), Gopi Nath Bordoloi Road, Silpukhuri, Guwahati – 781 003. Contact them for the latest status, timings, and appointments at
Day Care ARDSI Guwahati inaugurated a day care centre in September 2015. The day care is currently operational at:
House No-35, Arunudoi Path,Hatigaon Road,Opposite Hatigaon Namghar,Guwahati-781038 (Assam)
|ARDSI Mizoram Chapter
(Mizoram Chapter of Alzheimer’s and Related Disorders Society of India)
ARDSI Mizoram Chapter, A/76 Hermon Street Electric Veng Aizawl, Mizoram 796007, India
Contact person: Dr. H.K. Laldinpuii Fente
ARDSI Mizoram was inaugurated in September 2015, and has done some caregiver training and is working to spread awareness using multiple means. Support is also given using Whatsapp to registered members. Also, check their Facebook presence Opens in new window . This is a new chapter; please contact them for details of their current activities and plans.
|ARDSI Manipur Chapter
(Manipur Chapter of Alzheimer’s and Related Disorders Society of India)
ARDSI, Manipur Chapter, Palace Compound Near Govindaji Temple Imphal-795001 ( Manipur) India
Contact person: H. Sanamatum Singh, General Secretary
Tel: +91 897 402 4889, 09856377484, 08974971851
E-mail (try all, and call if there is no response): email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
|Additional Listings: Other possible resources for dementia information/ diagnosis (based on reports of dementia-related events)||
Various news reports from dementia programs suggest that experts/ organizations concerned or knowledgeable about dementia can be reached in Imphal at places like JNIMS (Jawaharlal Nehru Institute of Medical Sciences Hospital) and the Department of Psychiatry, RIMS (Regional Institute of Medical Sciences) also
|Additional Listings: Important organizations working for seniors||
Helpage helpline: This all-India organization with local branches supports senior citizens in multiple ways. They may also offer geriatric physiotherapy.Contact them at 1800 180 1253 (All-India tollfree number). Local Guwahati office: +91 361 222 8330 / +91 8011527423 Email: email@example.com , More emails: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: helpageindia.org
As per some newspaper reports, Assam has senior citizen associations such as Assam Senior Citizen Association and Guwahati Senior Citizen Association. More details are not currently available, but you can try to locate and contact them.
Manipur has a “Senior Citizen’s for Society Manipur” (SCSM) association. More details are not currently available, but you can try to locate and contact them.
|Tips to locate trained attendants||Using Trained Attendants for Dementia Home Care . Also, please ensure that you evaluate any service/ facility before using it.|
[Back to top] 
Click here for our full list of dementia/ care resources in various Indian languages (currently Assamese, Bengali, Gujarati, Hindi, Kannada, Konkani, Malayalam, Marathi, Punjabi, Tamil, Telugu, and Urdu): Dementia/ Alzheimer’s Resources in Indian Languages 
[Back to top] 
City-wise/ Region-wise resources  andResources across multiple Indian cities . Below are some tips for locating additional resources:
- A list of local services can usually be obtained by surfing the Internet using keywords and the name of the city, and looking for various types of services. Most cities will have some home care services, old age homes, nursing agencies, etc. The larger hospitals of the city will usually have memory clinics, geriatric clinics, or geriatric psychiatry clinics to help the initial diagnosis of dementia. Search for these combined with your city name and other such phrases.
- Use various combinations and alternate city names for more suitable results.For example, you may look for Guwahati, Gauhati, Assam, Imphal, Manipur , or whatever else you consider useful. Search using locality names also.
- Updates/ fresh data on dementia support facilities/ services may also be available from the National Dementia Helpline ( 0484-277-5088). E-mail: email@example.com) or other helplines handled by the ARDSI National Office (09846198471,09846198786, 09846198473)
- The reception/ nurses at local hospitals often know about agencies that supply attendants/ nurses for home care.
- Many large path lab services also provide home pickup of blood samples.
- Many neighborhood path labs and small clinics are able to send nurses home for some minor procedures, like IV. Some even have contacts of doctors who may be willing to make home visits (you must satisfy yourself about the quality and reliability)
Also note, contact numbers and addresses keep changing. If you have an problems old number/ name of hospital/ doctor, etc., get the latest details using local telephone inquiry/ assistance services.
Please note that Dementia Care Notes does NOT provide any services or any medical consultation.
[Back to top] 
Disclaimer:Data on this page is provided for information and convenience, and is not an endorsement for any person/ organization/ service/ resource. We make no claims that the contents of this page are either accurate or complete, or that the persons/ organizations listed are reliable or that they are suitable for you (no fitment for purpose is intended or implied).
Page/ post last updated on: January 31, 2019