This page contains information specific for dementia care in North-East India, currently on Assam (Guwahati), Manipur (Imphal) and Mizoram (Aizawl). It has been created for the convenience of caregivers of patients of Alzheimer’s Disease and other forms of dementia. [read disclaimer]
- Facilities for patients of Alzheimer’s/ other dementias.
- Dementia-related material in various Indian languages (including Assamese and Bengali).
- General tips for locating relevant resources in a city.
Helplines for senior citizens: Helpage helpline: All-India toll-free number: 1800-180-1253. Guwahati number +91 361 222 8330 / +91 8011527423
ARDSI Guwahati Chapter (Guwahati Chapter of Alzheimer’s and Related Disorders Society of India)
ARDSI – Guwahati Chapter, House No – 5, Nandan Path, Rukmini Nagar, Sachivalaya, Guwahati 781006, Assam
OR House No-35, Arunudoi Path, Hatigaon Road,Opposite Hatigaon Namghar, Guwahati-781038
Another address available is Sonabeel Commercial Complex, 202, GNB Road, Silpukhuri, Guwahati)
Main email: email@example.com (Please copy any emails to other email ids also, for a better chance of response)
Contact persons and their details:
Shri Prashanta Goswami (President), Ph: 94350 48090, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr.Mrs.Ajaya Mahanta (Emeritus President), Ph: 9435045066, Email: email@example.com
Mrs.Sikha Mahanta (Secretary), Ph: 8011864080, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Rajkamal Bhuyan (Treasurer), Ph: 9435013943, Email: email@example.com
Dibya Jyoti Goswami (Office In Charge), Ph: 7035907918, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Website: ardsiguwahati.org Opens in new window
ARDSI Guwahati started a memory clinic in January 2015: The Reeta Barua Memorial Memory Clinic. The clinic is open on weekdays for consultations and assessment. It is handled by Ms. Ankita Kakati. The clinic is at Sonabeel Commercial Complex ( above M/S Chandrani Pearls / Kingkini Jewellers ), Gopi Nath Bordoloi Road, Silpukhuri, Guwahati – 781 003. Contact them for the latest status, timings, and appointments at 9707648562 (Ms Ankita) or through the neuro OPD (phone +91825399124 Extension 176) or use the ARDSI Guwahati numbers.
Day Care ARDSI Guwahati day care is at: House No-35, Arunudoi Path,Hatigaon Road,Opposite Hatigaon Namghar,Guwahati-781038 (Assam). Contacts: Mr.Prashanta Goswami-94350 48090, Debastuti Baruah-98640 15872, and Dibya Jyoti Goswami-7035907918. Please contact them to find the working timings and other details.
Note that all day cares were closed during COVID lockdown. Please contact individual entities directly about their current status and also the measures they follow/ plan to follow to ensure safety of persons using the facility.
ARDSI Mizoram Chapter (Mizoram Chapter of Alzheimer’s and Related Disorders Society of India)
ARDSI Mizoram Chapter, A/76 Hermon Street Electric Veng Aizawl, Mizoram 796007, India
Contact person: Dr. H.K. Laldinpuii Fente, Professor, Department of Psychology, Mizoram University, Mizoram, Aizawl – 796004, Phone: 09436140870 / 8794716364, 0389 2331605. E-mail: email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org Facebook presence Opens in new window.
ARDSI Manipur Chapter (Manipur Chapter of Alzheimer’s and Related Disorders Society of India)
ARDSI, Manipur Chapter, Palace Compound Near Govindaji Temple Imphal-795001 ( Manipur) India
Contact person: H. Sanamatum Singh, General Secretary, Tel: 09856377484, 08974971851, +91 897 402 4889. E-mail (try all, and call if there is no response): email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Additional Listings: Other possible resources for dementia information/ diagnosis
Various news reports from dementia programs suggest that experts/ organizations concerned or knowledgeable about dementia can be reached in Imphal at places like JNIMS (Jawaharlal Nehru Institute of Medical Sciences Hospital) and the Department of Psychiatry, RIMS (Regional Institute of Medical Sciences) also
Additional Listings: Important organizations working for seniors
Helpage helpline: This all-India organization with local branches supports senior citizens in multiple ways. They may also offer geriatric physiotherapy.Contact them at 1800 180 1253 (All-India tollfree number). Local Guwahati office: +91 361 222 8330 / +91 8011527423 Email: email@example.com, More emails: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: helpageindia.org
As per some newspaper reports, Assam has senior citizen associations such as Assam Senior Citizen Association and Guwahati Senior Citizen Association. More details are not currently available, but you can try to locate and contact them.
Manipur has a “Senior Citizen’s for Society Manipur” (SCSM) association. More details are not currently available, but you can try to locate and contact them.
The full list of dementia/ care resources in various Indian languages (currently Assamese, Bengali, Gujarati, Hindi, Kannada, Konkani, Malayalam, Marathi, Punjabi, Tamil, Telugu, and Urdu) is at Dementia/ Alzheimer’s Resources in Indian Languages
- A list of local services can usually be obtained by surfing the Internet using keywords and the name of the city, and looking for various types of services. Most cities will have some home care services, old age homes, nursing agencies, etc. The larger hospitals of the city will usually have memory clinics, geriatric clinics, or geriatric psychiatry clinics to help the initial diagnosis of dementia. Search for these combined with your city name and other such phrases.
- Use various combinations and alternate city names for more suitable results. For example, you may look for Guwahati, Gauhati, Assam, Imphal, Manipur, or whatever else you consider useful. Search using locality names also.
- Updates/ fresh data on dementia support facilities/ services may also be available from the contact numbers of various dementia organizations and elder care organizations listed above
- The reception/ nurses at local hospitals often know about agencies that supply attendants/ nurses for home care.
- Many large path lab services also provide home pickup of blood samples.
- Many neighborhood path labs and small clinics are able to send nurses home for some minor procedures, like IV. Some even have contacts of doctors who may be willing to make home visits (you must satisfy yourself about the quality and reliability)
If you are looking for information and suggestions for handling care situations, some useful links are: Quick access to a Caregiving Essential Toolkit and Using Trained Attendants for Dementia Home Care.
Please note that Dementia Care Notes does NOT provide any services or any medical consultation.
Note: This page includes all the information available with us for this city/ region. Please note that the data is provided for information and convenience, and is not an endorsement for any person/ organization/ service/ resource. We make no claims that the contents of this page are either accurate or complete, or that the persons/ organizations listed are reliable or that they are suitable for you (no fitment for purpose is intended or implied).