This page contains information specific for dementia care in Kolkata, for the convenience of caregivers of patients of Alzheimer’s Disease and other forms of dementia. [read disclaimer]
- Facilities for patients of Alzheimer’s/ other dementias.
- Helplines and major information sources for elders.
- Dementia-related material in various Indian languages (including Bengali).
- General tips for locating relevant resources in a city.
ARDSI Calcutta Chapter’s Dementia Helpline at 08232014540 Monday to Saturday, 10:00 am to 4:00 pm (old number, +91 33 32214540, not in use any more: update obtained June 2016)(www.ardsikolkata.org )
Helpage India’s tollfree helpline for dementia/ elders issues: 1800-345-1253 (This national toll free number – BSNL 11 digit number is operational within the city and reachable from any service provider.)
|Facility||Address and other details|
ARDSI Calcutta Chapter, Kolkata
Offers counselling, care support, memory clinic, training for home carers, home visit, day care for dementia patients, etc, and runs helpline. Actively arranges events like awareness programs.
Also contact to check availability of dementia/ caregiving material in English and Bengali
ARDSI Calcutta Chapter
Contact person: Ms. Nilanjana Maulik (Secretary of the chapter)
Telephones(try all) -08232014540 Mobile: +91 93310-39839, 9830460306
Operating Hours: 10:00am – 4:00 pm (Monday- Saturday)
ARDSI Calcutta Dementia Daycare Centre
In addition to the helpline and the dementia day care centre, ARDSI Calcutta Chapter also conducts awareness programs and other events. Update Nov 2014: In September 2014, the chapter also started a dementia clinic in Dishari Hospital in Chandernagore. For more information/ appointment, please contact the ARDSI Calcutta Chapter as given above.
News and updates from ARDSI Kolkata are available in their newsletters, available here .
In 2009, the chapter also hosted the 15th ARDSI National Conference; see one report hereExperts warn of dementia epidemic .
Other dementia resources/ memory clinics
Dr. Trishit Roy & Dr. Atanu Viswas
National Neurosciences Centre,
Please note that the Dignity Dementia Day Care Centre, earlier working from Babubagan Lane, Kolkata 700 031, has been discontinued.
|Others||Dementia training is sometimes offered by Calcutta Metropolitan Institute of Gerontology
A comment added on this page mentions “Tribeca Care” as a company that offers dementia-related support. This comment is by the founder of the company. View the comment (it contains contact details) here: Comment on Tribeca Care
Please note that the Dementia Day Care project of Helpage India, earlier at Kalyan Ashram, Paramhansa Deb Road, Kolkata, has been discontinued. Contact Helpage directly to see if they have any new offering specifically for dementia. Contact details of Helpage given in the next section, below.
|Other resources/ tips for home care/ trained attendants/ caregiver support||The resources listed above may be able to provide home care/ attendants trained for dementia, or they may point you to other resources.
The sections below (resources for elders and general tips) may also be useful. Also, please check the comments left by various site visitors, as some of these may point to organizations that other caregivers have used. Please satisfy yourself about any service/ facility before using it.
Unfortunately, it is very difficult to get attendants trained for dementia. You may need to use general attendants and train them on dementia yourself or with the help of volunteers. Our page here, Using Trained Attendants for Dementia Home Care, discusses this topic in detail. You may also find our Caregiving Essential Toolkit useful.
Dignity Helpline: + 91- 33 – 30690999
Helpage India’s tollfree helpline: 1800-345-1253 (This national toll free number – BSNL 11 digit number is operational within the city and reachable from any service provider.)
|Facility||Address and other details|
|Helpage India, Kolkata||
Contact Person: Mrs. Susmita Ghose, National Director (East & North)
Ask them about any elder care services, or about any dementia-related initiative, and also about any Geriatric Physiotherapy clinic in the city, as such clinics can be useful for rehabilitation of persons with mobility problems and also with dementia.
|Dignity Foundation, Kolkata||
20 L, Dhakuria Station Road, P.O.- Dhakuria
|Other sources for information on attendants, old age homes, etc.||Calcutta Metropolitan Institute of Gerontology works in the area of elder care, offering services to elders, doing training, research and publications, including training people for geriatric care.|
Click here for our full list of dementia/ care resources in various Indian languages (currently Assamese, Bengali, Gujarati, Hindi, Kannada, Konkani, Malayalam, Marathi, Punjabi, Tamil, Telugu, and Urdu): Dementia/ Alzheimer’s Resources in Indian Languages
- A list of local services can usually be obtained by surfing the Internet using keywords and the name of the city, such as "home nursing Kolkata", "dementia care Kolkata", "old age homes Kolkata."
- Combine your search string with various versions of the city name in searches, such as Kolkata, Kolkatta, Calcutta. So, a search could be "old age homes Kolkata" or "dementia Calcutta"
- The larger hospitals of the city will usually have memory clinics to help the initial diagnosis of dementia. Search for "memory clinic Kolkata" and other such phrases.
- Updates/ fresh data on dementia support facillities/ services may also be avaailble from the National Dementia Helpline ( 04842808088 (Mon-Sat 10 AM-4 PM). E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org) or other helplines handled by the ARDSI National Office (09846198471,09846198786, 09846198473)
- The reception/ nurses at local hospitals often know about agencies that supply attendants/ nurses for home care.
- Many large path lab services also provide home pickup of blood samples.
- Many neighborhood path labs and small clinics are able to send nurses home for some minor procedures, like IV. Some even have contacts of doctors who may be willing to make home visits (you must satisfy yourself about the quality and reliability)
Also note, contact numbers and addresses keep changing. If you have an old number/ name of hospital/ doctor, etc., you can try to get the latest correct number/ address using local telephone inquiry/ assistance services or services like Justdial (0888-888-8888) and Askme (0444-444-4444).
Please contact the resources listed above if you are looking for dementia/ care support in Kolkata. If you are looking for resources in other Indian cities/ regions, or across India, check out these links:
- City-wise/ region-wise dementia resources: City-wise resources
- Resources/ organizations working in dementia/ elder care across multiple Indian cities: Resources across India
Other useful links:
- Quick access to essential caregiving tips: Caregiving Essential Toolkit
- Discussion on trained attendants for dementia home care : Using Trained Attendants for Dementia Home Care
Disclaimer: This page was last updated in June, 2016 with whatever information was available and seemed relevant. However, we make no claims that the contents of this page are either accurate or complete, or that the persons/ organizations listed are reliable in any way, or that they are suitable for you (no fitment for purpose is intended or implied). The data is provided merely for information and convenience, and not in any way intended to be an endorsement for any person/ organization/ service/ resource. Also, services offered keep changing, so please contact the organisations to get up-to-date information.
Please note that Dementia Care Notes does NOT provide any services or any medical consultation.