This page contains information specific for dementia care in Hyderabad, and other cities in Andhra Pradesh and Telengana, for the convenience of caregivers of patients of Alzheimer’s Disease and other forms of dementia.[read disclaimer]
- Facilities for patients of Alzheimer’s/ other dementias.
- Helplines and major information sources for elders.
- Dementia-related material in various Indian languages (including Telugu and Urdu).
- General tips for locating relevant resources in a city.
Dementia helpline: 9618527072 (this is part of the Memory Clinic of ARDSI Hyderabad-Deccan Chapter and functions Mon-Sat, 10:00 am to 4:30 pm)
|Facility||Address and other details|
ARDSI, Hyderabad-Deccan Chapter
Offers activity centre, awareness programs, support group meetings, dementia helpline, and memory clinics. Has Dementia/ caregiving information in English, Telegu, and Urdu.
ARDSI Hyderabad Deccan
Registered office & Activity Center:
The centre is especially designed and equipped for persons with dementia. Other senior citizens can volunteer to support the day care. The centre also has material that caregivers may find useful. It has an associated memory clinic.
Contact Saadiya Hurzuk for this day care and also for the memory clinic associated with it, using the above address, or at phones 9618527072, 9004528557, Mon-Sat, 10:00 am to 4:30 pm)
Other memory clinics by/ in association with ARDSI Hyderabad-Deccan Chapter)
Memory clinic at NIMS
Memory clinic at Asha Hospitals
For monthly caregiver support group meetings, contact:
Possibly useful list of providers on their site at: List of Home Care Service Providing Agencies in Hyderabad.
The chapter regularly organizes events and workshops. View their events at: their Events page. Contact them to get updated information.
Heritage Elder Care Services
Full-time stay for persons with dementia is being made available at Heritage Elder Care Services (please contact to check current status of project, and its suitability and reliability)
Heritage Elder Care Services
Other dementia awareness activity in this region
Some newspaper reports of activities/ events in 2013 and 2014, which may give leads on possible experts and organizations involved in dementia:
|Other resources/ tips for home care/ trained attendants/ caregiver support||The resources listed above may be able to provide home care/ attendants trained for dementia, or they may point you to other resources.
The sections below (resources for elders and general tips) may also be useful. Also, please check the comments left by various site visitors, as some of these may point to organizations that other caregivers have used. Please satisfy yourself about any service/ facility before using it.
Unfortunately, it is very difficult to get attendants trained for dementia. You may need to use general attendants and train them on dementia yourself or with the help of volunteers. Our page here, Using Trained Attendants for Dementia Home Care, discusses this topic in detail. You may also find our Caregiving Essential Toolkit useful.
Helpline run by Helpage India in coordination with Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation: 1253 (toll-free: 1800-180-1253)
|Facility||Address and other details|
|Helpage India, Hyderabad Branch Office||
Contact Person: Mr. S. Dass, State Head – Andhra Pradesh
Ask them about any elder care services and also about any Geriatric Physiotherapy clinic in the city, as such clinics can be useful for rehabilitation of persons with mobility problems and also with dementia.
|Day Care Centers for elders||
A list of Day Care Centers in Hyderabad, said to be published by the Aasara project (a senior-citizen focused Government of Andhra Pradesh project) is available from “Ageing Samachar” at this link: http://ageingsamachar.weebly.com/day-care-centres.html . Also check out the other links on the website for more information that may be relevant to seniors.
|Other sources for information on attendants, old age homes, etc.||
Heritage Hospitals- Home Health Care Services provides a range of home health care services, including bedside attendants. Their toll-free number is 1800.102.2424
Red Cross, Kottayam (Kerala), also provides 24-hour attendants for many cities in South India, and may agree to sending attendants to Hyderabad. Contact: Indian Red Cross Society, Kottayam District Branch, Red Cross Tower, Nagambadom, Kottayam- 686001, Ph: 0481-2300238, 0481-2560238
Please check comments below for any more resources persons may have shared.
Click here for our full list of dementia/ care resources in various Indian languages (currently Assamese, Bengali, Gujarati, Hindi, Kannada, Konkani, Malayalam, Marathi, Punjabi, Tamil, Telugu, and Urdu): Dementia/ Alzheimer’s Resources in Indian Languages
- A list of local services can usually be obtained by surfing the Internet using keywords and the name of the city, such as "home nursing Hyderabad", "dementia care Hyderabad", "old age homes Hyderabad."
- Combine your search string with various versions of the city name in searches, such as Hyderabad, Hydrabad, Secunderabad, Secundarabad, Guntur, Vijayawada, Visakhapatnam. So, a search could be "old age homes Hyderabad" or "dementia Hydrabad"
- The larger hospitals of the city will usually have memory clinics to help the initial diagnosis of dementia. Search for "memory clinic Hyderabad" and other such phrases.
- Updates/ fresh data on dementia support facillities/ services may also be avaailble from the National Dementia Helpline ( 04842808088 (Mon-Sat 10 AM-4 PM). E-mail: email@example.com) or other helplines handled by the ARDSI National Office (09846198471,09846198786, 09846198473)
- The reception/ nurses at local hospitals often know about agencies that supply attendants/ nurses for home care.
- Many large path lab services also provide home pickup of blood samples.
- Many neighborhood path labs and small clinics are able to send nurses home for some minor procedures, like IV. Some even have contacts of doctors who may be willing to make home visits (you must satisfy yourself about the quality and reliability)
Also note, contact numbers and addresses keep changing. If you have an old number/ name of hospital/ doctor, etc., you can try to get the latest correct number/ address using local telephone inquiry/ assistance services or services like Justdial (0888-888-8888) and Askme (0444-444-4444).
Please contact the resources listed above if you are looking for dementia/ care support in Hyderabad/ Guntur/ Vijayawada/ Visakhapatnam. If you are looking for resources in other Indian cities/ regions, or across India, check out these links:
- City-wise/ region-wise dementia resources: City-wise resources
- Resources/ organizations working in dementia/ elder care across multiple Indian cities: Resources across India
Other useful links:
- Quick access to essential caregiving tips: Caregiving Essential Toolkit
- Discussion on trained attendants for dementia home care : Using Trained Attendants for Dementia Home Care
Disclaimer: This page was last updated in June, 2016 with whatever information was available and seemed relevant. However, we make no claims that the contents of this page are either accurate or complete, or that the persons/ organizations listed are reliable in any way, or that they are suitable for you (no fitment for purpose is intended or implied). The data is provided merely for information and convenience, and not in any way intended to be an endorsement for any person/ organization/ service/ resource. Also, services offered keep changing, so please contact the organisations to get up-to-date information.
Please note that Dementia Care Notes does NOT provide any services or any medical consultation.