This page contains information specific for dementia care in Goa, for the convenience of caregivers of patients of Alzheimer’s Disease and other forms of dementia. [read disclaimer]
- Facilities for patients of Alzheimer’s/ other dementias.
- Helplines and major information sources for elders.
- Dementia-related material in various Indian languages (including Konkani).
- General tips for locating relevant resources in a city.
|Facility||Address and other details|
Dementia Society of Goa
Offers diagnosis and counselling. Supports caregivers for home care.
|Dr. Amit Dias, M1 Housing Board Colony,Alto Porvorim, Bardez -Goa.
PIN 403 521
Mobile: +91 9822382842 (Dr Amit Dias’s number)
Dr. Amit Dias, Asst. Professor, Department of Preventive and Social Medicine, Goa Medical College is involved in several studies and initiatives related to dementia care, and has numerous publications. For example, Dr. Dias shared Goa’s experience at the Alzheimer’s Disease International conference: Empowering caregivers for dementia home care , and in this interview, Dr Dias explains the status of dementia facilities and what needs to be done .
|Other entities in Goa
and The Dennis Charles Jarvis Memorial Trust
Diagnosis. Counselling caregivers for dementia home care
A “Dementia project” is being run jointly by The Dennis Charles Jarvis Memorial Trust and Sangath. This aims at extending the non-pharmacological intervention developed by the Dementia Society of Goa to the people of Goa. Dr. Amit Dias is the project director (see above for his contact details). To know more about the trust and their current and proposed projects, contact:
Counsellors: Anita Jarvis (9819196168) and Lourdes Alvares (9763917097)
Sangath was also involved in the Sangath-Rotary Dementia Home Care project, which was designed to increase awareness of dementia and also involved visitinf families and advising them on non-pharmacological ways of suporting dementia home care. Dr. Amit Dias was the project director. The project is now over, but you can contact Sangath for information: The Sangath website page for their address . Also, see the Sangath Goa Facebook Page .
Some older reports: Dementia awareness program at the Senior Citizen’s Group of St Andrews Church, Vasco , and The Dementia Society of Goa, Sangath, and ISEAF (Indian Students Educational Aid Foundation) conducted a Dementia home care workshop for home nursing students .
|Other dementia resources/ memory clinics||Neurology Department, Goa Medical College Web: http://www.gmc.goa.gov.in/
Goa Medical College and Hospital
|Announcement of upcoming facility at Monte Hill, Margao, Goa(No progress so far)||As part of his budget announcements in March 2011, the Goa CM announced that a provision had been made for setting up residential care, day care and respite care facilities for senior citizens. Proposed centres include an ‘Alzheimer’s Home’ in Monte Hill at Margao, Goa, to cater to dementia. Read the report here .
But (as of September 2013) there has been no progress (see Dr. Dias interview on the project )
|Other resources/ tips for home care/ trained attendants/ caregiver support||The resources listed above may be able to provide home care/ attendants trained for dementia, or they may point you to other resources.
The sections below (resources for elders and general tips) may also be useful. Also, please check the comments left by various site visitors, as some of these may point to organizations that other caregivers have used. Please satisfy yourself about any service/ facility before using it.
Unfortunately, it is very difficult to get attendants trained for dementia. You may need to use general attendants and train them on dementia yourself or with the help of volunteers. Our page here, Using Trained Attendants for Dementia Home Care, discusses this topic in detail. You may also find our Caregiving Essential Toolkit useful.
Goa does not have a specialized elders helpline yet; please use the general police helpline in case assistance is required or you have a complaint where you need police help. The Goa Police website is at http://goapolice.org , with the help number as 100 and emergency number as 108
The Helpage India office in Mumbai also services Goa. Contact:
Mr. Prakash N. Borgaonkar, Territory Head – Maharashtra, Goa & Gujarat
34A/44, Guruchhaya, Manish Nagar, P. O. Azad Nagar, Andheri (W)
Mumbai – 400053
Tel : 022-26370754 / 40, Mobile: 09821224513
Ask them about any elder care services and also about any Geriatric Physiotherapy clinic in the city, as such clinics can be useful for rehabilitation of persons with mobility problems and also with dementia.
Read about (October 2013) Goa Senior Citizen’s forum’s activity on World Elders’ Day here .
Click here for our full list of dementia/ care resources in various Indian languages (currently Assamese, Bengali, Gujarati, Hindi, Kannada, Konkani, Malayalam, Marathi, Punjabi, Tamil, Telugu, and Urdu): Dementia/ Alzheimer’s Resources in Indian Languages
- A list of local services can usually be obtained by surfing the Internet using keywords and the name of the city, such as "home nursing Goa", "dementia care Goa", "old age homes Goa."
- Combine your search string with various versions of the city name in searches, such as Goa, Margao, Vasco, Porvorim. So, a search could be "old age homes Goa" or "dementia Vasco"
- The larger hospitals of the city will usually have memory clinics to help the initial diagnosis of dementia. Search for "memory clinic Goa" and other such phrases.
- Updates/ fresh data on dementia support facillities/ services may also be avaailble from the National Dementia Helpline ( 04842808088 (Mon-Sat 10 AM-4 PM). E-mail: email@example.com) or other helplines handled by the ARDSI National Office (09846198471,09846198786, 09846198473)
- The reception/ nurses at local hospitals often know about agencies that supply attendants/ nurses for home care.
- Many large path lab services also provide home pickup of blood samples.
- Many neighborhood path labs and small clinics are able to send nurses home for some minor procedures, like IV. Some even have contacts of doctors who may be willing to make home visits (you must satisfy yourself about the quality and reliability)
Also note, contact numbers and addresses keep changing. If you have an old number/ name of hospital/ doctor, etc., you can try to get the latest correct number/ address using local telephone inquiry/ assistance services or services like Justdial (0888-888-8888) and Askme (0444-444-4444).
Please contact the resources listed above if you are looking for dementia/ care support in Goa. If you are looking for resources in other Indian cities/ regions, or across India, check out these links:
- City-wise/ region-wise dementia resources: City-wise resources
- Resources/ organizations working in dementia/ elder care across multiple Indian cities: Resources across India
Other useful links:
- Quick access to essential caregiving tips: Caregiving Essential Toolkit
- Discussion on trained attendants for dementia home care : Using Trained Attendants for Dementia Home Care
Disclaimer: This page was last updated in April, 2016 with whatever information was available and seemed relevant. However, we make no claims that the contents of this page are either accurate or complete, or that the persons/ organizations listed are reliable in any way, or that they are suitable for you (no fitment for purpose is intended or implied). The data is provided merely for information and convenience, and not in any way intended to be an endorsement for any person/ organization/ service/ resource. Also, services offered keep changing, so please contact the organisations to get up-to-date information.
Please note that Dementia Care Notes does NOT provide any services or any medical consultation.