This page contains information specific for dementia care in North-East India, currently on Assam (Guwahati) and Manipur (Imphal). It has been created for the convenience of caregivers of patients of Alzheimer’s Disease and other forms of dementia. [read disclaimer]
- Facilities for patients of Alzheimer’s/ other dementias.
- Helplines and major information sources for elders.
- Dementia-related material in various Indian languages.
- General tips for locating relevant resources in a city.
|Facility||Address and other details|
|ARDSI Guwahati Chapter
(Guwahati Chapter of Alzheimer’s and Related Disorders Society of India)
ARDSI – Guwahati Chapter
Tel: +91 94350 48090/ 98642 00518
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
The Guwahati team has been active for some time, spreading awareness in various public forums such as senior citizen forums and areas near Guwahati, including sessions in local languages. Programs have included awareness talks and programs at Dispur Hospital and street plays (Bator Naat) at Gauhati Medical College in association with students from Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Guwahati. The ARDSI Guwahati team has also been gathering data for an epidemiological study on dementia prevalence in the area.
In November 2013, the ARDSI Guwahati chapter hosted ARDSICON 2013, the XVIII National Conference of the Alzheimer’s and Related Disorders Society of India. The conference program can be viewed by visiting the website link given above.
ARDSI Guwahati started a memory clinic in January 2015: The Reeta Barua Memorial Memory Clinic. The clinic is open on weekdays for consultations and assessment and the clinical psychologist, Ms. Dharitri Dutta, handles it and refers cases to the attached senior doctors as necessary. The clinic is open at Sonabeel Commercial Complex ( above M/S Chandrani Pearls / Kingkini Jewellers ), Gopi Nath Bordoloi Road, Silpukhuri, Guwahati – 781 003. The MEMORY CLINIC would remain open all six days of the week for consultations and assessment. For appointments, contact (mobiles) 9707842004 and 9085353088. View the ARDSI Guwahati page on the Memory Clinic.
|ARDSI Manipur Chapter
(Manipur Chapter of Alzheimer’s and Related Disorders Society of India)
ARDSI – Manipur Chapter
H. Sanamatum Singh, General Secretary
Tel: +91 897 402 4889
E-mail (try all): firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com
Some news items when inaugurated: One day dementia awareness program held at Kontha Khabam Hall and World Alzheimer’s Day 2011 observed
|Dementia awareness activity in Imphal||
Here are some recent links related to dementia programs held in 2013 and 2014. These may help identify possible experts/ organizations that are concerned or knowledgeable about dementia, such as experts in JNIMS (Jawaharlal Nehru Institute of Medical Sciences Hospital) and in Department of Psychiatry, RIMS (Regional Institute of Medical Sciences): Alzheimer’s Month observed, Alzheimer’s month Interaction programme held, Healthy India programme, Alzheimer’s Day, and Manipur ranks second in North East for Dementia cases.
For Guwahati, the Helpage India senior citizen helpline is the tollfree number 1800 345 1253
The Assam police website is at: http://www.assampolice.gov.in/index.php
No information is available on any senior citizen helpline for Manipur (the police website is here, for your reference: http://manipurpolice.org/welcome.html )
|Facility||Address and other details|
|Helpage India, Guwahati||Contact Person: Mr. Nilondra Tanya
Address: H/N.42, Anandanagar Sixmile
Tel. No.: +91 0361 233 8330
|Senior Citizen Associations||
Assam has senior citizen associations such as Assam Senior Citizen Association and Guwahati Senior Citizen Association.
While authoritative details are not available, the Guwahati Senior Citizens Association website seems to have web presence and is also mentioned here. The following newspaper reports may also give more information on relevant associations/ support in Assam: story in Telegraph India, story in Assam Tribune.
Manipur has a “Senior Citizen’s for Society Manipur” (SCSM) association. See: article with activities of the SCSM.
Click here to locate our full list of resources with dementia and caregiving information in various Indian languages (currently, Bengali, Gujarati, Hindi, Malayalam, Marathi, Punjabi, Tamil, Telugu, and Urdu): Dementia Information in Bengali, Gujarati, Hindi, Malayalam, Marathi, Punjabi, Tamil, Telugu, Urdu
- A list of local services can usually be obtained by surfing the Internet using keywords and the name of the city, such as "home nursing Guwahati", "dementia care Guwahati", "old age homes Guwahati."
- Combine your search string with various versions of the city name in searches, such as Guwahati, Gauhati, Assam, Imphal, Manipur. So, a search could be "old age homes Guwahati" or "dementia Gauhati"
- The larger hospitals of the city will usually have memory clinics to help the initial diagnosis of a patient. Search for "memory clinic Guwahati" and other such phrases.
- Updates/ fresh data on dementia support facillities/ services may also be avaailble from the National Dementia Helpline ( 04842808088 (Mon-Sat 10 AM-4 PM). E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org) or other helplines handled by the ARDSI National Office (09846198471,09846198786, 09846198473)
- The reception/ nurses at local hospitals often know about agencies that supply attendants/ nurses for home care.
- Many large path lab services also provide home pickup of blood samples.
- Many neighborhood path labs and small clinics are able to send nurses home for some minor procedures, like IV. Some even have contacts of doctors who may be willing to make home visits (you must satisfy yourself about the quality and reliability)
Also note, contact numbers and addresses keep changing. If you have an old number/ name of hospital/ doctor, etc., you can try to get the latest correct number/ address using local telephone inquiry/ assistance services or services like Justdial (0888-888-8888) and Askme (0444-444-4444).
Please contact the resources listed above if you are looking for dementia/ care support in Assam and Manipur. If you are looking for resources in other Indian cities/ regions, or across India, check out these links:
- City-wise/ region-wise dementia resources: City-wise resources
- Resources/ organizations working in dementia/ elder care across multiple Indian cities: Resources across India
Other useful links:
- Quick access to essential caregiving tips: Caregiving Essential Toolkit
- Discussion on trained attendants for home care of patients : Using Trained Attendants for Dementia Home Care
Disclaimer: This page was last updated in April, 2015 with whatever information was available and seemed relevant. However, we make no claims that the contents of this page are either accurate or complete, or that the persons/ organizations listed are reliable in any way, or that they are suitable for you (no fitment for purpose is intended or implied). The data is provided merely for information and convenience, and not in any way intended to be an endorsement for any person/ organization/ service/ resource. Also, services offered keep changing, so please contact the organisations to get up-to-date information.
Please note that Dementia Care Notes does NOT provide any services or any medical consultation.